grinding hard drive

ted bear 09:24 04 Jun 04

hi - when i loaded my computer up this morning the hard drive started to make a grinding grating noise which stopped once my programes were loaded.
everything seems to be back to normal now. this also happened one day last week. is my hard drive on the way out? its a Maxtor 4D040H2 [Hard drive] (40.00 GB) is there anything i can do (apart from scrap it and buy another?)

JayDay 09:28 04 Jun 04

Are you sure it's the harddrive? I had a similar experience and it turned out to be the system fan. If you are sure it's the harddrive then backup your vital files and get a new one.

Mister Splendid 09:30 04 Jun 04

A grinding hard drive is a knackered hard drive. Back-up what you want to keep and replace the drive as soon as you can.

ted bear 16:20 04 Jun 04

iv tried loading twice since and no grinding noise - im just keeping my fingers crossed it will last till i get my new comp later this year

computernerdiamnot 16:36 04 Jun 04

I would still back up your files and programs you want as they say prevention is better than cure. :o))

ted bear 17:04 04 Jun 04

thanks computernerdiamnot - iv already backed everything up - what i dont understand is SMART says my hard drive is ok ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…