Grey screen at startup

Enzedder 12:37 05 Dec 07

Hello,

I am running a Hewelett Packard PC, using Windows XP.
In the last couple of weeks my monitor screen has begun displaying a grey screen when I boot the PC. The screen is entirely grey, and it stays this way for up to 8-10 minutes. When I first noticed the problem the grey screen was displaying for around 2-3 minutes.
After this time the XP log-on screen is displayed and I can get in and use the PC no problem. It runs fine once I am in.
The only thing I have done recently is add a wireless router to the PC for wireless internet access.
Any help greatly appreciated, as I am concerned at the grey screen and the fact it is appearing for longer each time.

Thankyou

MAJ 13:14 05 Dec 07

Have you tried a different monitor to see if the same thing occurs, maybe borrow one from a mate or take your tower round to your mate's house? Does the clock show the correct time when the PC eventually starts up? Have you tried uninstalling the router and do a system restore to before the problem started? A lot of work I know, but it would give a clue as to whether the router/router's software is causing the problem.

xania 13:25 05 Dec 07

Doubt its anything to do with the monitor as it clears the moment Windows installation reaches a viable stage - also rule out graphics card for the same reason. If the clock shows the wrong time, it could be internal battery, but I suspect that your PC is having problems loading a windows driver - this could be related to the router or it could be another damaged file.

If you can, do a system restore to the point before you installed the router (don't forget to disconnect the router), reboot your PC and see if this cures the problem. If so, suspect a poor installation. When re-installing, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter - especially follow the order i.e. do you connect the reouter first or do you install the software first. Also after installation, best to re-boot your PC before trying the router even if not instructed to do so.

Enzedder 09:33 06 Dec 07

Thanks for your advice. One thing, do I read your reply correctly that if I disconnect the router, then perform the system restore to a date before I installed it, this will remove the router from my PC, rathwer than needing it to be uninstalled?
Or do I need to uninstall the router first?
If so I am having difficulty locating the router on my PC. I've tried under add/remove programs and there does not seem to be software (its a Speedtouch ST585)
In Add/Remove Hardware, there is something called Network Adapters with two listings under the entry, they are:
"1394 Adapter" and "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC"
Is this the router???
Just don't weant to uninstall anything I shouldn't!
many thanks again

MAJ 09:46 06 Dec 07

The "1394 Adapter" is your built-in firewire card, do not uninstall.

The "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" is your built-in Network card "NIC" = "Network Interface Card" do not uninstall.

Disconnect the router and do the restore.

have you tried a different monitor? Have you tried your monitor on another PC to see if the same thing happens? What about the clock?

Technotiger 10:01 06 Dec 07

Possibly an easier route to try first - run Ccleaner click here it may just be a glitch in the Registry.

Enzedder 09:33 07 Dec 07

I have checked the clock - it is okay.
I tried ccleaner, cleared out some things but didnt affect the grey screen.
Tonight I have arranged access to another PC, so I'll try the monitor on that one and see if the problem is replicated. Then I guess I'll at least know if it is the monitor or the PC at fault.
Thanks.

rawprawn 09:39 07 Dec 07
  rawprawn 09:56 07 Dec 07
  Enzedder 15:51 07 Dec 07

I have an ATI Radeon card rather tha NVidia, ansd I havent consciously downloaded any optional drivers lately, so I don't think this should be the issue?
Thanks though

Enzedder 11:38 09 Dec 07

I have unplugged the montior and tried it on another PC. The same grey screen problem happened. So looks as though thew monitor is at fault. Its only 2 years old so I'm a bit surprised at that. Guess I need to discover if it is worth getting it repaired or buying a new one now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…