//some 3rd party need geo

Grey Messenger Pop-ups

Heckmotor 16:16 23 Jun 03

Probably a naive question, but how can the current spate of pop-ups be disabled without paying the very companies who are sending the ****ing things? If they use an installed element of msn Messenger, can I just disable that element and still use the messenger service, which I find quite useful?

Jester2K II 16:18 23 Jun 03
  spikeychris 16:20 23 Jun 03
  Jester2K II 16:20 23 Jun 03

and don't bother with anything past VoGs link as the Messenger Sevice which is responsible for these messages has nothing to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger. I had the two prgrams removed from my PC and only VoGs link stops the messages....

Sir Radfordin 16:46 23 Jun 03

J2k is right, you just need to stop the messenger service, as not much uses this. Only if you are in a network that uses something like NET SEND will you have a problem.

Reason why this has only just come to light is because Win98/95 didn't have the NET SEND function only NT.

Heckmotor 16:51 23 Jun 03

Thanks everyone for some swift advice - looks like I've got to dump the messenger service, which is a shame because I like its pop-up advice of incoming mail, and the sound alert, which are a useful adjunct to the Hotmail account I use. (Still, with all the spam on that, I probably ought to ditch it too!) Thanks again!

Jester2K II 17:01 23 Jun 03

As i said the Messenger Sevice which is responsible for the popups is NOTHING to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger. You can have MSN / Windows Messenger WITHOUT the Messenger Service!!!!!

Sir Radfordin 17:03 23 Jun 03

As J2k has said NOTHING you use will stop working if you stop this service!

Heckmotor 17:23 23 Jun 03

Sorry, Jester2K II and Sir Radfordin - a bit slow on the uptake today! Just disabled Messenger as advised, and looking forward to some peace!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…