Green Line on Monitor Display

suedeblue 09:34 04 Dec 10

I turned on my computer this morning and two thin green lines are running from top to bottom of my monitor.I rebooted and I now have one line.
Can anyone give me an idea what has happened and if it fixable.
Any help would be appreciated.

johndrew 12:18 04 Dec 10

What type of monitor? What OS? Have you got graphics cards installed?

Check the cable/connections between the monitor and the PC.

Try is re-seating the graphics card(s) (if fitted) click here

suedeblue 13:50 04 Dec 10

Thanks for the reply johndrew. My monitor is samsung syncmaster 2443bw and os is vista. I have nvidia GEforce GTX260 grafics card.

suedeblue 13:51 04 Dec 10

or even graphics!

johndrew 14:30 04 Dec 10

Many monitors have a facility that tells you they are not getting a signal - I'm not certain yours has this. To test for it, turn the mains off for both PC and monitor, disconnect the video input cable from the PC and turn the monitor on. With luck you will find a 'no signal' caption on the screen. If not then it could be the monitor.

If you have a spare/second monitor you know works, connect this to the PC and see it it solves the problem. If you have a spare video cable this will allow you to check that also.

If the problem is still present with the second monitor and/or video cable, or you are unable to go this route, I suggest you reseat the graphics card as the link shows. You MUST disconnect from the mains before you open the PC.

woodchip 15:23 04 Dec 10

Yes the screen needs a new one or put up with what you have. I have this problem with a Digital LCD TV about four inches from the right most of the lines disappear when warm. it bad connections to the screen dry joints from the edge connector. no amount of fiddling or messing will change it

woodchip 15:26 04 Dec 10

No Idea how long you have had the monitor but would be inclined to contact the monitor Manufacturer you may get it done under warranty

suedeblue 10:25 05 Dec 10

Many thanks for all the replies and advice. I will connect my old monitor and see what happens.

suedeblue 11:02 05 Dec 10

Old monitor connected and no lines so assume that it is the monitor. Sadly it is over 3 yrs old and out of warranty.
Once again thanks for tips and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…