A GREAT DEAL ? Sony Vaio PCV RX 407

Novis 23:53 17 Jun 03

I've been offered a tower: SONY Vaio TCV RX 407 2.53 GH for £800, 512MG RAm; 120 GB Hard Drive with a DVD Rewriter &c .. I can't find it on the Sony Website - anyone know anything about it - is it a deleted model (when was it first released?)

With no documentation and possibly out of warranty is it such a good deal for someone with no knowledge of maintaining computers such as myself?

Am I right to think that even if I were able to download the pre-loaded MS Windows XP onto a disk I couldn't be able to reload it without a serial number that would come with the documentation?

So - Is it really such a good deal - or likely to be more trouble that its worth if things go wrong?

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Novis

fitshase 10:20 18 Jun 03

Looking on Dabs.com, they are selling a Sony Vaio RS123:-

Pentium 4 2.66GHz
256MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD RW
CD-ROM
XP Home

for £680.32.

It has slightly less memory and hard disk space but those can be bought relatively cheaply.

The main advantage would be you would have a brand new machine with a full warranty from a company with a good reputation.

Regards

Fitshase

fitshase 10:27 18 Jun 03

Just done a bit of searching and found, as you suspected, the Sony Vaio RX407 is now discontinued click here

If you are looking to spend that sort of money, I would look around on the net as there are many brands of PC that would be within that price range - especially if you are only looking for a base system and no monitor.

If you are still set on a Sony Vaio then I would go for the model in my last post and save a bit of cash.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…