GRC Shields Up - Failed - Help to Stealth

LeedsLass 14:08 11 Feb 05

This is the results of my GRC ShieldsUp test. Anyone know how I can stealth my PC so that it passes this test. The port that failed was port 113 and it reported "IDENT - Closed - Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections."

GRC ShieldsUp Test results.....

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system's ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection. It is generally possible to increase your system's security by hiding it from the probes of potentially hostile hackers. Please see the details presented by the specific port links below, as well as the various resources on this site, and in our extremely helpful and active user community.

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

FelixTCat 14:11 11 Feb 05

Please tell us how you connect to the internet and what firewall(s) you use. Most can be set to Stealth, but not all.

LeedsLass 14:25 11 Feb 05

I connect to the www using NTL's cable Broadband service - 750kb service. My o/s is Windows 2000. I have Sygate firewall and use AVG anti-virus software. My www browser is Firefox. I use a wireless network (D-link network card in lappy and D-link wireless router) as it is a laptop.

Do you need anything else?

And thanx for replying.

FelixTCat 14:39 11 Feb 05

No. Neither do you :)

There is an article here: click here which I found a bit dense, but seems to indicate that Messenger is the problem. Do you use instant messaging?

Go into your firewall and look for an option to stealth ports. Your firewall will also tell you what applications are allowed to pass. Check the list. If you don't recognise something, block it. The next time it tries to connect, it will pop up a window asking to connect and you can decide whether to let it.

LeedsLass 14:47 11 Feb 05

I do have MSN and Yahoo Messengers on my laptop but I do not log into them unless I intend to use them (ie. they were not running when I did the test).

Also, when I last did this test about 12 months ago, I was still using IE and the test passed. Although, and I don't know if this is related, I do have more up to date versions of both the messengers now, and AVG and Sygate.

I shall read the article you suggest though, thanx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…