Grating noise when playing music!

richbowenuk` 18:49 17 Sep 04

When I am browsing the web or using outlook and playing music via winamp or media player I get what I call a grating noise when I try and scroll down the page! I've got 512k of ram and a 60gb hard drive and 1600 processor so what could cause this? Sound card or lack of memory or something else?!!!

Gongoozler 19:01 17 Sep 04

Do you have onboard sound, or a dedicated PCI sound card?

richbowenuk` 19:40 17 Sep 04

Its a time pc so i think its a dedicated PCI sound card!

jack 19:44 17 Sep 04

What sort of mouse do you use? A cordless one perchance
Could be some form of feedback through the system and speakers or even through the air.

Gongoozler 19:51 17 Sep 04

The reason I asked about the type of sound card is that I find integrated sound can be quite bad at picking up the noise from bus activity on the motherboard. My ASUS A7V8X-X integrated sound is very poor in this respect, and even a fairly cheap PCI card is generally much better in this respect. You can easily tell if the sound card is PCI because the sockets at the back of the case will be in one of the PCI slot bracket positions, whereas integrated sound sockets will be near the port connectors.

richbowenuk` 19:57 17 Sep 04

Don't think its the mouse cos it happens when i press the down arrow as well on the keyboard!

richbowenuk` 11:49 18 Sep 04

Is there a way of getting up my sound info via the system? I use XP

livewire 12:09 18 Sep 04

Try copying the needed Sound sections from DXDIAG:

To gather information related to DirectX:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type "dxdiag.exe" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

3. Test the Display and Sound components:

a. Click the Display tab and then click "Test DirectDraw", "Test Direct3D", and "Test AGP Texturing" (if available).

b. Click the Sound tab and then click "Test DirectSound".

4. Click Save All Information.

5. In the Save In box, click Desktop, and then click Save.

6. Click Exit.

Then copy and paste the Dirext X sound section to us.

Muckle 12:23 18 Sep 04

You haven't somehow got a 'sound' associated with the scroll action in the sounds scheme, have you?
Start, Control Panel, 'sonds, speech and audio devices', change sound scheme, 'sounds' tab - then check in the 'Program Event' list to see if anything is associated to scroll.
As I say its a long shot, but if you have recently applied somekind of theme to windows it may be the cause?!
PS the above instructions are for XP home, but you should be able to find it through Contol Panel no matter which OS.
Good Luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…