Graphics upgrade.....help

paul654 22:23 16 Jul 03

I have a Tiny PC with PIII/733 proccessor and Intel 810e onboard AGP graphics chip. I am desperate to upgrade my graphics but there is no AGP slot on the motherboard, only PCI.
I`ve been told I can fit a 64mb, 3D PCI card and disable the onboard chip. Will the PC automatically detect my new card and overide the onboard graphics? or do I have to physically disable the onboard chip myself? If so....how???
Please speak in simple terms...I`m not a novice but I`m not Bill Gates either.
Thanks

dazzling (work) 22:27 16 Jul 03

you should be able to disable onboard graphics from the bios hit delete key at startup.and yes the new card should be recognised by bios and windows.

woodchip 22:28 16 Jul 03

Check that you can disable the onboard this cannot normally be disabled only in Device Manager under Exists in all Hardware Profiles You would have to remove the tick to stop it working, after you fitted a PCI card

AMD 4 ever 22:43 16 Jul 03

You can take it down to 1mb, but sometimes not disable. so as woodchip says check in the bios first. You can get a riva tnt32 pci card, these are ok for office surfing etc....not graphics 4 games tho

dfghjkl 20:17 17 Jul 03

you can get a ge force 4 mx440 pny nvidia 64mb from pc world for £69.but will find cheaper elseware,but check cooling and psu power first,i fitted one finally this week after a lot of hassle only to find i need more power,i have 250 watt it says on box i need a 350 watt,i bet yours is as low as mine,so it would pay to check

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…