Graphics Upgrade.. Advice?

Pizz88 12:11 18 Oct 10

Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 570 from Dell a few months back. Great system, however it has a massive bottleneck which i find is the graphics card. Here's my Spec..

AMD Phenom II X4 820 (2.8GHz)
6GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD
1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450

So... I'm thinking of spending about £150 - £200 MAX to gear up it's gaming ability a bit..
Whats my best option? I know i could shell out £200 on a new graphics card.. but then i feel the 300W power supply i have won't stand up to the new card...

gengiscant 13:23 18 Oct 10

You are right about your PSU, by any standards that is woefully small. So an upgrade there first I think.
Is your card a low profile type or can your case take a full size card?

An HD 5770 about £120 or 4890 about £150 might be worth a look.

GaT7 17:37 18 Oct 10

Dell Inspiron 570 - you have one of these click here? It's a regular-sized PC case (i.e. not slim-type) right?

What kind of space are we looking at where the graphics card (GPU) needs to be fitted? See this pic to know what I mean: click here. The horizontal measurement is where the GPU is likely to be slotted in, so measure directly over the PCI-E (GPU) slot).

Do you have installed, or will you be installing any expansion cards below the graphics card? If yes, how many slots available. And how many exp cards are, or will be, installed? This is important too as your new GPU's girth is likely to occupy 1-2 additional exp slots below it.

Unlike gengiscant ATI suggestions, I'd opt for a nVidia-based GPU - a GTX 460 (click here) perhaps, as it's a little more future proof in terms of features (Review click here). Like he says, I reckon a PSU replacement is a must. MY suggestion would be for something like this Be Quiet 530W click here. But consider a more powerful one if you think you'll be upgrading the GPU at some point to a GTX 480 / HD 5970 for example. Ask for suggestions if required, as PSUs come in various qualities, sizes & prices. G

GaT7 17:41 18 Oct 10

PSU purchase link so you can get the GPU & PSU from the same store: click here.

The GTX 460s at eBuyer are more expensive (£30+) in comparison, so it would be better to get both from Scan. G

Armchair 18:25 18 Oct 10

If you want to make do with that 300w PSU, then you might consider getting a Radeon HD 5670. Not exactly a fireball, but light years ahead of your 5450. £65 or so. Might do the job if your screen res. isn't too high.

citadel 19:10 18 Oct 10

could be price cuts soon on ati cards as new 6 series soon.

GaT7 20:12 18 Oct 10

I agree with Armchair about the HD 5670. However, what GPU you should opt for will greatly depend on the games you'll be playing, plus the resolution & other settings ('eye candy') you'll be playing them at. The rest of your system is fine from a gaming perspective.

citadel, one would certainly hope for 5xxx series cuts - about time too! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced