Graphics upgrade

Hedders83 16:22 18 Jan 08

Hi I am upgrading my PC's graphics and am wondering how high spec my motherboard will support. I am running an AMD XP Athlon 2800 on 1 gb RAM and a Gigabyte K7 Triton motherboard. My current card is an ATI Radeon 9800Pro.

I was thinking a Ge Force 7300 or something like it, any advice appreciated. Cheers

Gongoozler 17:43 18 Jan 08

I don't think there's any real limit on how high spec your motherboard can handle. The main thing is to ensure that you have the right kind of connector, so if the motherboard has AGP, so must the graphics card. Your motherboard is modern enough not to worry about whether it is the old 3.3V AGP. If you fit a very powerful graphics card, you might run into power supply problems but unless your PSU is very borderline on power I don't think a GeForce 7300 will over-tax it.

Hedders83 17:40 19 Jan 08

Thanks for that, my motherboard says AGP and PCI which is best?

Jim_F 18:05 19 Jan 08

I'm not sure the 7300 is going to benefit you that much if you check the comparisons here: click here

You'll see its slower than the 6600 and 7600. (The 6600 was recommended as the 'basic' board for FPS games - Far Cry, Doom3 etc)

For your board I'm fairly sure that its an AGP card as I believe it supports PCI (slower than AGP) rather than PCI express (faster).

As per the last post I would recommend you check your PSU conforms to the recommended power for the card you choose and, of course, you make sure its an AGP version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…