graphics slowdown

bigboab y 12:56 04 Mar 03

Trying to fix a SIS 5589 with cyrix 333 fitted .. original setup would only run at 640x480 (whatever) screen.. but playing even simple games (like diamond mine) ,the graphics dragged like hell.. so i fitted a known good S3 virge PCI card and scrubbed the inbuilt Cirrus logic ... i now can run at 800x600 but the draggy graphics still there.. its got 64 megs of edo RAM,and a 2 gig hard drive plus windows 98se now suspect the mobo is nacked ... any advice out there.. apart from pick a window

Lozzy 14:44 04 Mar 03

The main reason for the sluggish frames is down to your Ram and Virtual Memory. I would recomend that you increase your ram and alter you VM to the max. The 2 gig hard drive in todays standards is a small HDD how much free disk space do you have? As that equally can slow the FPS (frames per sec) down to a crawl. You also state you upgraded your graphics card how much ram does it have? 8mb 16mb 32mb 64mb??

bigboab y 16:44 04 Mar 03

Virtual memory is at max (1.7 gigs) 64 megs should be good enuff to run simple games..the graphics card is only a 2 meg job.. will it be worthwhile trying AN EIGHT MEG JOB ???.. not entirely convinced

Lozzy 18:48 04 Mar 03

For games its an absolute must that your graphics card has a min of 32mb at best it should be 64mb. With it only having 2mb I am surprised you get anything.. wow!!! you must have some amount of patience

bigboab y 18:51 04 Mar 03

Its surprising lozzy... some of the old games can run on 75 mhz pentiums and dont need a lot of memory.. my grandkids love Super bounce out etc ..

Lozzy 19:01 04 Mar 03

Old games yes but newer ones are memory hungry.. I think you have just been very lucky so far..

Next time your out shopping have a look on any games box and what the min spec is.. I would strongly advise a upgrade in the Graphics dept for better and more enjoyable computing.. It will be money well spent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…