Graphics / Ram

Ex plorer 16:26 02 Oct 05

Hi is there any way of increasing Graphics when there is no spare plate at the back of the PC.

On start up it features Graphics By ATI Radion 200.

I have a spare PCI slot and a Spare PCI Express slot.

The PC should have 500MB of Ram but 128MB have gone to the Graphics side.

Its just sluggish maybe the better option would be to upgrade the ram.

Looking at the Ram set up I would have to buy 2 x 256 MB of ram to match what is in.

It has DDR DIM sockets for Ram. Very little info put me right on this please.

Windows XP Celeron(R) CPU 2.8GHz 384MB Ram

Ex

ade.h 16:37 02 Oct 05

If you don't want to play games, then it would be much more cost effective to add more RAM. Check Crucial to find which type you need.

Ex plorer 16:58 02 Oct 05

If what you mean by not wanting to play games is by tinkering about inside the pc or removing parts no I don’t want to do that at the moment.

But are you saying that I should buy two sets of ram of the same as what is in or can buy just one 256 MB Ram.

Or one 512 of Ram or maybe two sets of 512 of ram I am asking to find out how DDr Dimms work.

Ex plorer 17:03 02 Oct 05

Or do you mean games as in a Gaming PC then no its not for that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:10 02 Oct 05

Run Everest Home Edition click here to find what type of memeory you have now.
may be two sticks of 256Mb

Yuo need to Know if you can add another stick or just replace the ones that are in there.

Then go to crucial.com to purchase your new memory.

ade.h 21:23 02 Oct 05

Yes, I mean games as in games of the graphical variety.

If there is any chance that you might fill all four DIMM slots, then you need to think carefully about exactly what type of modules your mainboard requires. Many mainboards require registered modules if all four slots are utilised.

If you have a choice between - for example - two 256MB DIMMS and one 512MB DIMM, the latter is a better choice with regard to performance. Large quantities of data addressing will be handled better. This is particularly worth remembering for anyone who does things like video editing.

For you, I think one more 256MB or 512MB module would be sufficient.

ade.h 21:26 02 Oct 05

If you ever start playing games (of the graphical variety) you would see a huge performance gain from the addition of even a mid-range graphics card. Native graphics chips are not really up to demanding 3D games.

skidd 22:36 02 Oct 05

Go out and buy a PCI express graphics card - that will release all of your Ram and things will run much faster. Ati's newbies come out this month so get one!!!!

ade.h 13:44 03 Oct 05

Skidd - Ex plorer does not want to play games, so he doesn't need any more graphics performance. It will be more economical to purchase more RAM, which is cheaper than even a budget graphics card and will have a real benefit for his PC's performance.

gudgulf 14:31 03 Oct 05

I think you are both right.......adding a pci-e graphics card would help matters immensely.Even the most basic model will both free up the RAM memory and the cpu time given over to graphics processing.Ex plorer is running a Celeron processor which are not the most powerful of cpu's.Allowing it to work entirely on running programs rather than the greaphics as well should make a big improvement.

At the same time adding another 256 or 512 MB of RAM will make sure that there is plenty of fast memory to cope with all the background programs and any running programs.

Since he already has 512MB of RAM though,it would make more sense in my opinion to add a basic seperate graphics card as the first choice.

ade.h 16:48 03 Oct 05

Perhaps you are right, Gudgulf. I wasn't aware that there would be any resource drain from the CPU as a result of a native GPU.

I understood that onboard GPUs did all their own processing and borrowed only RAM from the system and no other resources (apart from bus bandwidth of course).

If I'm wrong in that assumption, then a basic AGP or PCX card may in fact be a good idea and would ease the burden on the RAM anyway.

It also depends on how capable the Celeron actually is. I've always thought of them as roughly comparable to early Athlon XP Thoroughbreds, like my XP 1700+. Old as it is, it copes well enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…