Graphics problem in WinXPpro

Mysticnas 09:19 25 Feb 03

I thought i'd fixed the problem last night.
but for some reason it came back this morning.

Norton firewall wasn't enabling itself on windows startup. i uninstalled and reinstalled it. it kept locking. I restarted and did it again. but it booted up in 4bit colour. so i restarted once again. it went back to normal.

went to display settings and the previous problem has come back again. my GF4 Ti4600 128Mb is showing as 32Mb. everytime i restart it changes between 16Mb/32Mb/64Mb. It is very annoying.
Norton antivirus hasn't picked up anything.
i've uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers many times but has had no effect.

Whats going on?

is there anything i can do besides wiping my hard drive and starting all over?
i have about 30GB of files that i need to back up, is copying them to CD the only way to do it?

Please help!

Mysticnas 10:38 25 Feb 03

please!

AndySD 10:42 25 Feb 03

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…