graphics problem

brad paisley 00:23 07 Nov 07

my new computer is doing my head in, had it about a week. high spec computer, but graphics looks like a low end card.
i have nvidia 320mb 8800gts card, now i done my research and this card is suppose to be decent.

fifa 08 looks awful and has playstation 1 look about it, far cry is just plain awful, water and objects look terrible, chunks of beach turn black.

tried many games and they just look rather plain and awful, bought a div cable and hoped would sort problem. but no.

everythink in games just looks like a block and not very 3d, also seems very shiny objects and buildings.

anythink i can do to sort this? it's driving me nuts.

Devil Fish 00:43 07 Nov 07

have you tried updating your graphics drivers and patched the game

brad paisley 03:28 07 Nov 07

graphic drivers? only bought it a week ago,surely don't need upgrading

aquatarkus 07:21 07 Nov 07

What make of 8800gts is it? are the motherboard chipset drivers up to date,and also the latest nvidia drivers for the 8800 (what motherboard and memory are you using?) What display resolution are you running. if you can give some of these specs might be able to help a bit more also what operating system you running with.
also your comment about "only brought it a week ago surely don't need upgrading" do you mean the card its self or the pc if it's just the card presume you did install the drivers

keef66 12:42 07 Nov 07

Where did you buy from in the end? Whoever it was, get it back to them at their cost, and insist they fix it.

brad paisley 14:04 07 Nov 07

got it from cougar extreme. this what i bought in the end.

Gamers Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 4Mb Cache, 2Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, , X-Cruiser Black, Atrix 650Watt Transparent + Blue LED, 320Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10, QC - ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard (Dual graphics), 18X DVD+/-RW (Samsung), No Floppy Disk Drive, 19 Inch (DVI) AMW TFT widescreen X1910WDS, Microsoft remote keyboard & mouse wireless 3000, Creative Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Sound Card, Intergrated Monitor Speakers, , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM),

brad paisley 14:29 07 Nov 07

THANKS. WILL DO.

keef66 15:05 07 Nov 07

You've paid quite a lot of money for a high spec pc, and it's Cougar's responsibility to get it working properly.

However, just in case it's something simple, it would be worth checking that they have connected the auxiliary power connector to the graphics card and that the card itself is properly seated in the slot (stuff comes loose in transit, and I recall you went for the 3 day build / delivery option, so they might have overlooked a connector in their haste)

brad paisley 17:27 07 Nov 07

medal of honour seems good on it, but still just somethink not right about the games. monitor and symbols on windows look abit blury.

what screen resolution should i have it on?

i really don't want to send it back would be alot of hassle. i don't have internet on it either, so would it be best to get internet put on and download updates.

i have no clue what should be connected to what.

computers are never simple are they!

brad paisley 19:18 07 Nov 07

i never got the nvidia graphics disc, got some 3d mark disk. but computer does show that i have 8800tgs installed.

i will have a fiddle about later and see what needs doing. does seem odd though.

Technotiger 19:19 07 Nov 07

You don't have Internet on it? You should get Internet capabilities soonest - otherwise, lots of hassle to update drivers etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…