graphics problem

frojim 16:15 12 May 06

In the past when I started the pc the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE 256MB)logo would be the first thing on the screen, followed by the memory tests. Now when I start up this first screen is an unintelligible mess with fuzzy lines running across the screen but after that the pc loads as normal. All applications run ok until I try to load a game and then I get the same fuzzy lines (almost like when my old spectrum 48k was loading a game!) Sometimes when I press Esc or cont + Alt + Del I will get back to the desktop but other times I have to reboot the pc. Any help would be great. I'm running a mesh matrix pc with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor with 1GB of ram.

ACOLYTE 16:18 12 May 06

I would assume you have installed this effect as i dont think it comes with the driver for that card,unless it has been build in to your pc model,so maybe the thing you installed has become corrupt?

surfmonkey #:@}© 16:25 12 May 06

you are probably running the game at a to high resolution for the moniter try a lower res maybe try 1152x864 pixels in the game or games in the games options

ACOLYTE 16:29 12 May 06

What threw me was what from said

"In the past when I started the pc the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE 256MB)logo would be the first thing on the screen"

To me this would mean he has altered, or the driver altered his logon/boot screen and i have never know nvidea drivers do that unless it was 3rd party software that did it.

But it may well be what surfmonkey #:@}© says try it and see)

gudgulf 17:30 12 May 06

Try removing/reseating the memory modules and graphics card........the Screen identifying the graphics card is in the BIOS boot up sequence.It is the first thing you will see on screen as the pc boots up.As such it is not dependent on the windows drivers and shouldn't be affected by the screen resolution set within Windows since Windows hasn't booted up yet.

The fact you get the same issues when running games in Windows as well suggests a problem with the card itself to me.

It could just be poor connection to the motherboard or it could indicate a pending graphics card failure.

Other things to try.......Clear the CMOS by removing the battery from the mobo/using the jumper on the mobo.

Reinstall/update both the graphics card and motherboard drivers.

Try your card in another pc and see if the same problem occurs.

Totally-braindead 18:30 12 May 06

The problem I had was similar but not identical to yours. On the boot up screen, before it comes up with the XP load screen, I had little scores all over the screen, it would seem to be ok when windows loaded but when playing games I had a lot of bother. I actually thought it was my BIOS that was somehow corrupted but it was actually the graphics card beginning to fail. I'm not saying this is what is wrong with yours but its certainly a possabilty.
Try reloading the drivers and check the reolution as has been suggested in the first instance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…