Graphics problem

Eileanbeag 15:32 22 Feb 05

I have a friend who has acquired a computer with a 10 gig harddrive running Windows 98.
She has installed Sims City but finds that she cannot change her desktop property settings from 16 bit colour. She has no disks or drivers but she says the computer has PCI Graphics adaptor (VGA). Is there anything she can do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 22 Feb 05

Requires the graphics drivers installing.

Belarc click here

run this it will tell her what graphic equipment she has, we then then look for appropriate drivers.

xania 15:45 22 Feb 05

This could be because either the Card or the monitor is incapable of coping above this. However, its more likely that the driver has not been installed for the graphics card. You should be able to identify the card from the system properties in My Computer, then go on-line and download the apprpriate driver. Once this is installed you should be able to make the necessary changes.

xania 15:46 22 Feb 05

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/
This is a new one to me. Looks worth keeping on my tools CD.

Eileanbeag 16:12 22 Feb 05

Cannot check from link as she has not on the Internet.

I've asked her to look at My Computer - then should it be Device Manager/hardware/ Display adaptors?

ventanas 16:17 22 Feb 05

Probably only show the vga drivers that are installed, if anything. She needs Belarc. Can you download it and copy to CD.

Eileanbeag 16:23 22 Feb 05

Many thanks - sholuld have thought of that - will not see her until tomorrow but have downloaded Belaric and I'm sure that will be the answer. Thanks again

ventanas 16:35 22 Feb 05

No probs. When you've got the answer come back and we'll sort out the drivers.

Actually Belarc will fit on a floppy. Save wasting a CD.

Eileanbeag 16:38 22 Feb 05

I found that - the website very helpfully asked for a Floppy to save to - will let u know how things go - thanks again

Eileanbeag 12:17 23 Feb 05

My friend has now run Belarc and for Display she quoted the following:- Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) - Should there be more?

ventanas 12:37 23 Feb 05

Yes, now we have a problem. Find another way to discover what graphics it has.

Does Belarc reveal the make/name of the motherboard. If the graphics are built into this its a start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…