Graphics problem

drew645 00:24 20 Dec 04

My computer does not have a reset button and so when it freezes I have no choice but to turn it off completely.
When I start it up again the graphics are garbled, a sort of coloured tartan. The computer otherwise runs fine, it is just about possible to see everything is working, though basically unwatchable. All programs can be started, but appear in wierd colours. The problem also arises if I turn off the computer completly (in the correct manner!)when working normally, but attempt to turn it on again within a short period.
The only solution I have found is to switch of the computer completely and leave it for an hour. It will then start normally.
I have a Radeon 9200 graphics card (256mb) Athlon 64 3000+ processor, 512mb memory + 120Gb hard disk.
The computer is about a year old, I imagine there should be a way to reset but I don't know it. I have also tried playing with the display settings, no luck.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Andrew

Night Ryder 01:07 20 Dec 04

Possible driver problem. Download the latest drivers for your graphics card.

georgemac 08:24 20 Dec 04

try booting into safe mode - tap the f8 key just after the post test - see if the graphics are OK in safe mode (basic vga driver loaded). If so go to device manager and remove the graphics card. Reboot and let windows find the new hardware and reload the drivers - then go online and download the latest drivers and install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…