Graphics Issue?

Leehndrsn 13:25 27 Jul 06

I recently got a new pc and installed a few games and have only had time to try 2, FEAR and Medal of honor pacific assault, the problem I have is when I changed some graphics options in FEAR it all went psychodelic and basically froze then screen started to flash, slightly the same with medal of honor only the game plays fine with max settings but when I exit the game most of the screen freezes and shows half the desktop again with slightly weird colourings on some areas and again screen starts to flash on and off only just managing to reboot by waiting till the screen appears each time, could it be a faulty file on the graphic card driver? or something to do with a system/motherboard file? It did briefly show an error message but was barely readable and it may of included something about nforce4 but not 100% sure

I have reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver from their website and its still the same and i'm lost at what to try now, running dxdiag shows no fault or errors and I know of no other tests to try.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Lee

Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD X2 4800 Dual core
2GB OCZ RAM
Geforce 7900GT 512mb Golden Sample
ECS KN1 SLI Extreme Motherboard - Nforce4

Diodorus Siculus 13:55 27 Jul 06

Try system restore if you can.

citadel 18:58 27 Jul 06

it looks like a psu issue to me. if the graphics card is not getting enough power and a stable rail it spits it's dummy out.

Totally-braindead 19:11 27 Jul 06

As Diodorus Siculus has suggested system restore may solve it. Also if its a game problem then seeing if theres patches for the two games concerned may solve it. You could also try reinstalling the motherboard drivers, if it is popping up a message about NForce 4 then thats a motherboard driver, look on the ECS website for newer drivers than you have on your disk.
If you have other graphics intensive games that work ok and its only these 2 games then its unlikely to be the power supply but if these are the only games you have on your computer then it is a possability. Can you give details of what power supply you have?

Leehndrsn 19:21 27 Jul 06

Thanks, i've checked the card to ensure its getting enough power and everything is connected power wise and it seems ok, the PSU is a 650w so I assume its enough to power it all but will try the mobo update and system restore if needs be, much appreciated

Leehndrsn 19:40 27 Jul 06

Would I be correct in assuming this is the driver i would need?

Driver Name NVIDIA NFORCE4 Chipset driver
Version 6.69
Release Date 2005/10/08
Update Description
Special Note Nvidia chipset, Lan, IDE,and Raid drivers
File Size 103MB
Support O.S Windows 2000 ; Windows XP ; Windows XP 64bit edition

I selected the KN1 SLI Extreme (v1.0a) in the drop down but Everest says

Award BIOS Message KN1 SLI ver 1.0d 07/08/2005

Only other option on ECS that may of matched was NFORCE4-A939(v1.0)

ulrich 19:48 27 Jul 06

I would check your Graphics Card Driver first. Your card is well up to both games. Also check for any game updates .

Totally-braindead 19:50 27 Jul 06

It appears to me that this is the correct driver and it is the one you should need 6.69.

Totally-braindead 19:54 27 Jul 06

I have to point out that the driver is dated 8/10/2005 and it may be the same one as you have on the driver disk, if so there is no point in downloading it as you already have it on disk.
Try the omega driver first and see if that does anything click here or try reinstalling you graphics card drivers first, you should have the disk for that as well.

Leehndrsn 20:21 27 Jul 06

Thanks for that, Will those drivers reduce any performance etc as they aren't as recent as the latest?

Leehndrsn 00:12 28 Jul 06

ok tried driver you suggested for card and still same, so I have installed Prey to confirm its not just those games and it plays perfectly fine with max settings and exit's to windows with no problems so i'm guessing these 2 games may just need to be re-installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…