Graphics heavy Word document

seeker 04:39 27 Jun 05

I have a graphics-heavy Word document that ends up at 23 mb. Is there a way to get Word 2000 to re-sample the images and thus reduce the size of the document. When its converted to a pdf the size comes down to just 200 kb so I know it can be done!

Diodorus Siculus 07:54 27 Jun 05

One option would be for you to reduce the image resolution before adding them to the document.

VoG II 08:19 27 Jun 05

You haven't embedded Excel workbooks in there instead of just charts have you? To check double-click a chart in the Word document - if Excel opens then you have.

Sorry if I'm totally off-beam.

Pesala 09:47 27 Jun 05

There are two ways to reduce the size of the Word Document:

1. Link the images instead of embedding them.

2. Resample the images using Irfan View click here or a similar photo-editor. If all the pictures are in one directory this should be easy enough, but you should backup the originals first. Or choose the output directory for the batch process as the directory where you store the Word Document, then replace each picture in the Word Document with the resized copy.

If there are only a few dozen images you may find it easiest to just cut them from your Word document to the clipboard, paste them into Irfan View, resize them, copy them to clipboard again, and paste them back into your Word Document.

Peter 09:58 27 Jun 05

I understand that if the graphics are JPEGs they will not bloat the file size as much as some file formats. I have also found that PNGs keep the size low if that file type is suitable.

As suggested above keep the original file size down by resampling to a just acceptable level.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…