Graphics drivers for Linux

Strawballs 20:57 22 Aug 09

I have an old Duron 900 that I am trying Ubuntu on and I can only manage a resolution of 800X600 and am finding it impossible finding drivers for the MS 6378 Ver 3

MAT ALAN 22:02 22 Aug 09

click here
page 2.

Strawballs 22:16 22 Aug 09

I don't know if I'm being blind, but I can't find any Linux/Ubuntu drivers on any of the pages.

MAT ALAN 22:40 22 Aug 09

I doubt very much such an animal exists, try the VGA drivers listed one of them might work...

^wave^ 10:15 23 Aug 09

this might help
click here

DieSse 15:14 23 Aug 09

Here is a Trident Blade video driver - however it's not got a good vote, and odd drivers for odd cards aren't always the easiest thing to install in Linux.

click here

Linux tends to be happy with intel, nVidia and ATI graphics if you want the fancier drivers. Otherwise it'll work, but nothing fancy.

On the other hand, as suggested above, it may be the monitor that's not being properly recognised.

On a third hand - which version of Ubuntu are you using - some of the older versions have issiues with getting resolution correct.

I'm using the latest version of Linux Mint - it's based on Ubuntu, but with some improvements. It installed on me system with everything working correctly. Windows7 (RC) installed with 3 items needing extra drivers!!

Linux Mint click here I use the Gnome version - haven't looked at the KDE version.

Strawballs 10:23 24 Aug 09

Right found out it is the Trident Blade 3D that I needed and have downloaded drivers for Linux and now have to find out how to install them (new to Ubuntu) it is Ubuntu 9.04

LastChip 11:25 24 Aug 09

Open a terminal and type this command:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Scroll down until you see Section "Device", it should be close to Section "Monitor and Section "Screen".

Now take a look at which driver Ubuntu has loaded for you.

You may find it's already correct.

To put it bluntly, the video chip you're trying to support is so far down the bottom of the pile, it will probably turn out, you're trying to get blood out of a stone.

By far a better bet, would be to take a visit to ebay, and find a very cheap Nvidia card (with a decent amount of RAM) if you've got a spare slot. Nvidia is still better than ATI in Linux, though the later is catching up.

Strawballs 12:31 24 Aug 09

I think I will tick this as resolved.
This machine is an old Duron 900 with onboard graphics, I also have an old Pentium 111 750 with an AGP Nvidia card but no hard drive or ram, so I think I might transfer Hard drive and Ram and start over again and see how I get on with that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…