Graphics driver versions and numbering systems

gazzaho 15:51 01 Jul 08

I have just bought a new system with Vista 32bit and after transferring my software and other bits and bobs I decided to check if my graphics drivers were up to date.

My card is a GeForce 9800 GX2 so I went to the Nvidia UK website to check, on entering the relevant details I'm taken to the driver page with GeForce Release 175 WHQL, Driver Version 175.19 dated 23/06/08. Windows device manager displays Version 7.15.11.7516 dated 02/05/08, also doing a check for updated drivers online from device manager comes up empty. System Information in the Nvidia control panel reports Version 175.16 as being installed, so it's obvious that the one from the website is newer, both from the dates and version numbers from Nvidia.

What I was wondering is why does device manager report a version number different to Nvidia? Why does device manager report no drivers available online when there are? Is it because of signature issues perhaps?

I feel a less experienced user might come to grief when updating drivers because of the discrepancy between windows device manager and the actual drivers they need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017