graphics driver problems

manuelp 13:46 03 Jun 05

I have AMD 750MHz with 394 Mb mememory and Geforce 256 graphics card with32 MB memory -about 6 years old.OS is W XP with SP 1 - SP 2 caused too much problem.
After downloading Realplayer 10 update the graphics card driver was corrupted and the computer wouldn't boot. I have reinstalled Win XP and updated the driver from Nvidia site but machine is still very unstable and crashes frequently including on startup.Following this the startup pages are gobledegook and I can only get into Windows via safe mode and have to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver again. The machine is a bit more stable at present if I close Norton AV, Zone Labs Firewall and Microsoft AntiSyware before shutting down Windows. What am I doing wrong or do I need a new computer!?

Indigo 1 14:24 03 Jun 05

Which Graphics drivers are you using ?

Did you fully uninstall all old GFX drivers before installing new ?

If you have Detonator drivers then you must use Detonator Destroyer after uninstalling old drivers click here. If not then there is a wealth of info on that site about GFX cards and drivers.

manuelp 14:40 03 Jun 05

Thanks - the driver update i downloaded from Nvidia is 71.89 win2kxp international The driver version on device manager for the graphics card is now Nvidia
As for uninstalling i did this through device manager as the driver doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs. The problem may be that I have restarted Windows and the Hardware installation Wizard finds the hardware before I can install the updated driver. I have tried reinstalling before shutting down but that doesn't help either.
I don't think I have a Detonator Driver?

Indigo 1 14:52 03 Jun 05

The problem would not be with the new drivers, it is the old drivers that are causing it.

Uninstall the drivers again (not the card) and re-start (VGA mode yuch) then use Detonator Destroyer then restart then install again.

Incidentally the new drivers are called Forceware and are just updated Detonator drivers, renamed.

manuelp 17:55 04 Jun 05

Thanks again, I've done as you suggested and hope the problem is now resolved.Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…