//some 3rd party need geo

Graphics Driver

jz 20:50 05 Aug 03

If there's a problem with the PC's graphics driver, and you can't get a video signal on the monitor as a result, how do you re-install the graphics driver, since you can't see what's going on?

snoresloudly 20:55 05 Aug 03

Good question, but in the circumstances I would look to the monitor for the problem first. How do you know it's a problem with the graphics driver? have you tried booting to safe mode? (no drivers loaded), can you see the post boot up sequence? If there is no output at all try the monitor fuse/differant one etc then post back

steve12345 20:55 05 Aug 03

have you tried starting in SafeMode?
Keep pressing the F8 key while the PC is booting and windows will boot in VGA mode which all monitors should be able to handle. Then you can try to sellect the correct settings.

jz 21:09 05 Aug 03

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I haven't seen the PC yet, but someone told me that she was surfing the web, then her PC crashed. She tried to reboot it a few times, and said it didn't come up properly. She did a few more reboots, but all she got was a "no video signal" message on the monitor. She tried plugging her monitor into another PC and it worked fine.

She asked if I'd have a look at her PC (tomorrow). I'm not an expert but I said I would. I thought it would be a good idea to ask a few questions on this forum to get myself prepared.

She did have the Bugbear virus a while back (I used AVG to find it. It quarantined a few files, but I didn't have the time to investigate further, to see if it was still active in some way). I wondered if the virus is still active and somehow trashed the graphics driver, or perhaps the BIOS?

arnolddog 21:45 06 Aug 03

i have the same problem when i reboot my p.c. when i installed a radeon 9000pci graphics card.i can't fix the problem i just turn the computer off for 5 minutes then it fires up no problem or plug the monitor into my old socket on the back of the tower.

jz 07:02 08 Aug 03

It turns out that it wasn't just the video that was dead, but the whole PC, no fans or anything were working. Power supply suspected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…