graphics crash?

dfghjkl 19:20 08 Feb 05

hi i have just put together a pc,2200 sempron.m848lu mobo, 512 400mhz ram, fx5600,win xp pro,every thing was fine it would play internet games and play dvds but if i play a game or even try 3d mark 03 it turns the monitor off,the pc still sounds like it is doing the right thing but with no screen.could it be my 300w power supply (jeantec,pc world £20)? i am just about to put the graphics card in mine to test it but i think it well turn out to be ok (mine has a 550w)if it is not the psu any ideas,thanks,peter.

josie mayhem 19:44 08 Feb 05

It could be that the card itself is incompatible with the sempron processor.

I'm using a sempron 31000+ processor on a abit kv8 pro board (saving for the amd 64 processor which this board will handle has well) I've tried both the fx 5500 and the fx 5700 to no avail. Both graphic cards were unstable blanking out the screen what ever I tried, mobo driver/graphic driver omega drivers, all had the same result. I did put my fx 5700 into my other computer P4 2ghz asusus p4b266 mobo, and it worked perfectly no problems at all.

Out come I took it back exchanged for a radeon 9550 vguru (abit card) and have no problems, and in IMHO, it is a far better card altogether, and very over clockable.

I hope this helps a little bit, at least it might give you some pointers!

Totally-braindead 19:58 08 Feb 05

I bought a new card about 9 months ago or so, an ATI 9800PRO and it did the same as yours did. If I was on the internet or using Word or whatever it was fine, as soon as I tried something graphics intensive it crashed, sometimes restarting sometimes locking up. In the end I sent the card back as faulty, after spending nearly a week trying different drivers, in the end I bought a FX5900 and it installed perfectly and has run without a glitch. Incidentely one of the things I did try was upgrading the power supply thinking that might be the problem - but it wasn't, made no difference whatsoever. I'm forced to conclude that the card I got was faulty. I did think their might be a compatability problem between my motherboard which has a VIA KT400 chipset but since the card suppliers checked the card and refunded the money I'm almost certain the card was in fact faulty.

dfghjkl 21:53 08 Feb 05

thanks,the card is ok,i just put it in mine and it was fine.i cant try mine in the other pc because it is a 6800 and if it locked up (with a 300w it probably will)it wont tell me anything.i have a kt4 mobo that i have just taken out of mine,or i could try my psu in the other pc,any more clues.thanks,peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…