Graphics cards that need psu

Big Coll 16:26 22 Jun 06

I'm looking to buy the Sapphire Technology Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB DDR2 AGP DVI TVO and there are couple of questions I would like some help on:-

1). How do you connect it to the psu and is a 300w psu o.k.? for this card which is what I have on my p.c.

2). Are all agp8x cards compatible with an agp4x slot ?

I am quite confident in fitting most things as I have fitted c.d. drives and graphic cards that don't need psu but the psu bit is bothering me a bit, any help would be appreciated.

xania 17:02 22 Jun 06

1. You will need to ensure that your PSU has a connector for the card - check the specs of both to be sure. There is a formual for deciding what power you need - certainly I have my doubts about 300 watts - but you first need to identify all the bits and pieces and add it all up - your monitor probably has its own power but, HDD, MOBO, CD WRITER, USB ports, CPU and so on. Frankly, you can get 550 watts quiet for under £30 so go for it.

2. The AGPx4 and the AGPx8 both have the same fitting so you should be ok, but that does not mean that your mobo will support AGPx8. Check your manual.

Totally-braindead 17:15 22 Jun 06

Regarding your second question first any 8x card will work in a 4x slot but at a slower speed. I wouldn't be too concerned about it because firstly theres nothing you can do about it and secondly the difference is not as great as it first appears, there will be a slight difference but it doesn't cut the speed of the card in half or anything like it. Its a slight difference.

The first question about the power supply, it may be ok, if not you need a new power supply, generally speaking most graphics cards that ask for extra power state on the packaging something like "350 watt power supply required" in the specification. I have to point out they are being conservative you may find there is no problem the only way to be 100% sure is to try it. If you do have problems you buy a new power supply. Regarding the connection they connect to the same connector as a hard drive, the four pin molex connector, if you don't have one spare you can buy a splitter and split the power supply to the hard drive, some graphics cards come supplied with a splitter just in case so its worth checking.

Personally, I would be tempted just to get a new power supply at the same time as the graphics card so as to save on postage. 300 watts is a bit low these days.

Big Coll 17:29 22 Jun 06

Thanks for the advice.

I might as well get a new psu, are they easy to fit ?

The agp slot thing is a bit baffling as some of the cards just say agp8x whereas some state agp8x/4x/2x but if an agp8x will work o.k. in a 4x slot then that's fine.

?. 17:37 22 Jun 06

PSU is an easy ting to fit.

For mine, just a few screws in the back of the case and it just slides out.

Totally-braindead 17:43 22 Jun 06

Yes it will I wouldn't worry about the AGP thing. Regarding the power supply most are standard ATX power supplies and are very easy to fit, just 4 screws and the connectors are exactly the same. Do you have a branded PC and if so what is it? Some branded PCs used smaller sized power supplies and they are differcult to get hold of.
Best thing to do to be 100% sure is post the make and model of your PC then someone can hopefully confirm that a standard ATX power supply will fit.

Big Coll 10:28 23 Jun 06

The p.c. is made by Everex (about 4 or 5 years old), not sure of the model number though as I'm typing this from work, but I'll have a look when I get home.

Big Coll 10:34 23 Jun 06

I remember the motherboard is made by First International Computers model VC31 if that helps ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 23 Jun 06

Check the physical size of your PSUs some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size

Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Power supply calculator click here

Big Coll 14:58 23 Jun 06

I've checked and the psu is:-

ATX with PFC (whatever PFC means ?)
12v Peak Load 300w

The p.c. is an Everex Explora 761A

Should be straight forward then ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…