Graphics cards for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Bleriot 13:22 18 Apr 05

I have recently acquired some high-resolution terrain mesh scenery for the FS2002 and FS2004 flight simulators and I intend also to buy some photo-realistic textures. The frame rates on my existing computer are too low and so I am seeking a new machine. I do not want to spend an unnecessarily large sum on the new graphics card. What is the minimum requirement to provide smooth operation (say, better than 20 FPS) when using maximum MSFS settings. Can anyone recommend a graphics card that fits this requirement?

sil_ver 14:23 18 Apr 05

You can't take your graphics card in isolation. It would be no good fitting, say, an ATI 9800 if you've only got an 800Mhz CPU and 128Mb RAM, running WinXP. The 9800, I suspect, would give you the best possible framerate, again depending on your setup as would the Nvidia equivalent. So I suggest you post your PC spec then someone may be able to suggest the best card for you.

citadel 20:23 18 Apr 05

a 6600gt is the best mid range card by a mile.

sil_ver 00:16 19 Apr 05

citadel
I agree with you, that's the one I've got. But as I say you need more than just a good graphics card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…