Graphics Cards - AGP slot

DocP 14:04 18 Jun 04

I'm in the daunting process of finding the best graphics card for my Compaq Evo - what a nightmare of choice...

Many cards are designated AGP 8X - but I understand my AGP slot may only be 4X

How can I find out what the spec of this slot is? I have no documentation on this machine.

Be grateful for any help

Philip

Gongoozler 14:12 18 Jun 04

8x AGP cards should be ok with a 4x AGP motherboard, it'll just be a little bit slower. See if this helps click here

Fruit Bat 14:18 18 Jun 04

The speed of your AGP slot is set in the BIOS

Go into BIOS and see if yours will set to 8x.

/\0/\

Totally-braindead 14:33 18 Jun 04

In reality theres very little difference between 4x and 8x where graphics cards are concerned. You would think the 8x is twice the speed of the 4x but thats not the case. In actual fact there will be little difference so don't worry about it, the more differcult choice is which graphics card to get and that depends on 2 things 1 - how much can you spend and 2 - what programs are you wanting to use it with.

DocP 23:00 18 Jun 04

Many thanks - following your links I discovered my slot was 4x - and that is doesn't matter much

Philip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…