Graphics Cards

mick 47 21:59 14 Jun 03

Dear Colleagues

If I add a graphics card to my system will it increase or decrease the workload on my CPU.

Any advice will be appreciated.

six of one
half a dozen of the other.

woodchip 22:12 14 Jun 03

If you have onboard Graphics and it sounds like you have, they cannot be disabled very often in BIOS like Sound can but it should not be a problem. Your computer should work better with a stand-alone card. Your CPU should not be doing the work now it's the shared memory that's the problem, as the onboard Graphics sound chip should do the work

hugh-265156 22:13 14 Jun 03

if you have onboard graphics at the moment then the video memory is shared from the installed ram,a graphics card has its own memory.this will free up the extra ram for use by the system.

some more powerful graphics cards require extra power and are linked directly to the power supply.you may need to upgrade that.

Mysticnas 22:23 14 Jun 03

Graphics cards decrease the load on the CPU. the better the CPU the more it can hanlde.

Do you have an onboard graphics chip at the moment?

to find out go to display properties advanced and then adapter.

Tell us what you got.

a good graphics card will be able to take some of the work that the cpu does ,for instance T&L can be done by some graphics chips whereas some cant thereby the cpu has to do the work, or with some games they cant be played at all so if you get a better graphics card you wil probably start working your whole system much harder because you will be able to do more . but as the lads suggest the real benefit will come from the dedicated video ram.

just six months ago the magazines were raving about MX440 chips now they are only about £35 so buy a card and try it out. I would have to disagree with woodchip about disabling the onboard graphics in the bios, its simple if the mobo has an AGP slot then the onboard graphics can definitely be disabled in the BIOS.

woodchip 22:38 14 Jun 03

You have obviously not been on hear very long, as I said It is possible but some times it's got to stay where it is in the Device Manager

mick 47 23:04 17 Jun 03

Dear Colleagues

Thanks to all who have contributed to this debate.I have decided to go with the advice of horiz5, and go for a budget card - I have an AGP slot - so I hope all will work ok.

Once again, many thanks to all who have responded to this question.I have marked this question as resolved.

Regards

Mick Cowan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…