graphics cards

moh23 21:32 26 Oct 04

im wondering what kind of card i need to get a better picture when watching music videos on my pc,i only have the basic onboard graphics,im using win 98se

alan227 21:44 26 Oct 04

Have you got an AGP slot?.

moh23 21:55 26 Oct 04

i think so assuming i do what do you suggest

Gongoozler 21:56 26 Oct 04

Hi moh23. Just to get your posting to the top of the list where it has more chance of being noticed, I'll make a few suggestions. The expensive graphics cards are really for gaming where high power image processing is required to handle the 3D processing with high frame rates and pixel counts needed for the ultimate gaming experience and competitiveness. For DVD's and other less demanding roles almost any modern graphics card will probably be an improvement on your onboard graphics. I think if you are prepared to spend up to about £50 on a card you will probably get something quite good enough. This Fx5200 card from Ebuyer is an example of what you can get in that price range click here

If you can tell us what your present onboard graphics is, and how much you are thinking of spending, then perhaps someone can give more specific advice.

A bonus of changing to a separate graphics card is that you will free up some of your RAM, and so improve your Windows performance.

alan227 22:07 26 Oct 04

Download this program and install it.click here
Then run the program and in the left hand pane click on the plus sign by Motherboard then click Chipset from the dropdown menu.
If you have an AGP slot it will tell you the speed that it will run at.

moh23 22:17 26 Oct 04

sis 300 integrated agp speed 4x

alan227 22:30 26 Oct 04

If you type agp 4x graphics cards into google or any other search engine you will get loads of sites with 4x cards.
Have fun choosing one.

If you have not installed one before this URL will show you how.click here

You also have to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics and uninstall the drivers for the onboard graphics as well.

moh23 22:37 26 Oct 04

what does disabling the onboard graphics involve,also i have been told that not all computers can take 512mb ram is there any way of checking to see if my pc will take it

alan227 22:51 26 Oct 04

To disable the onboard graphics, start up yuor computer,as the text comes on the screen it should tell you what to press to enter the bios normally it is delete or F2 key that you have to press.
When in the Bios try looking under Peripherals for the onboard graphics. Then Disable it and press the F10 key followed by enter to save and exit the BIOS.

As far as your memory question is concerned you need to either read the manual if you have one or enter your type of motherboard into a search engine to look for the manual.

Gongoozler 08:45 27 Oct 04

Hi again moh23. If you're running Windows 98, then I wouldn't recommend using more than 256M RAM. Windows 98 has problems managing large amounts of memory. click here

georgemac 08:53 27 Oct 04

you said you have integrated agp chip which will be a chip on the board.

run the programme again and post back the type of motherboard you have, then we can have a look at the specs to make sure there is an agp slot.

some motherboards with onboard graphics automatically disable the onboard graphics when a card is fitted to the sgp slot - as long as there is one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced