Graphics Card/Motherboard Loud High-pitched Noise

db12aak 20:04 13 Aug 13

Hi there! I recently upgraded my computer's power supply from 350w, to 500w, but after running it for a few hours, a very loud high pitched noise started coming from the computer. So I swapped the 350w one back in, and the sound still hasn't stopped. It starts the second the computer is switched on, and stops when it is turned off. It's not any of the fans, as I have checked them.

The sound stops when the graphics card is out of the motherboard, and it stays off regardless of it the 6pin power supply is in or not.

The graphics card is an NIVIDIA GeForce 8800GT and the motherboard is a Foxconn 45GM.

I really need some help with this, so if you need any other info, please let me know.

Cheers :)

wee eddie 20:28 13 Aug 13

How did you check the fans?

db12aak 23:52 13 Aug 13

I held the fan blade still with a pencil and then switched it on and off for all 3, and the noise was still there. So it's not a bearing or anything.

retep888™ 01:50 14 Aug 13

<<The sound stops when the graphics card is out of the motherboard, and it stays off regardless of it the 6pin power supply is in or not.>>

It does look like something to do with the GeForce 8800GT.

<<I held the fan blade still with a pencil and then switched it on and off for all 3, and the noise was still there. So it's not a bearing or anything.>>

Does it include the graphic card cooling fan? Check it out, it may be failing.

db12aak 10:06 14 Aug 13

Yup, checked the graphics card fan the same way too...

Graphicool1 15:33 14 Aug 13

What happens when you turn the computers sounds off?

Or plug in some headphones?

db12aak 17:32 14 Aug 13

I don't have another graphics card to try, any other ideas before I try and source one?

And the sound isn't coming from the computer in terms of processed by it, so adding headphones or doing anything OS-wise will make no difference.

wee eddie 20:38 14 Aug 13

How about a stethoscope, failing that a rolled up piece of paper, to identify the source

db12aak 20:47 14 Aug 13

Did that. It's 100% coming from the graphics card.

lotvic 21:48 14 Aug 13

Seems it is not uncommon and lots about it on various sites. Do a google with the search term: Loud High-pitched Noise from NIVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

db12aak 21:53 14 Aug 13

Yeah I'd noticed, but they seem to all mention a 'whistle'-like sound that's barely audible, which this CERTANLY isn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac