Graphics card/driver problem

stlucia 19:36 04 Dec 09

Earlier this year I bought an HP Pavilion PC with an HPw1907v monitor. It came with Windows Vista installed but, because some of my hardware and software was incompatible with Vista, I formatted the hard drive and installed XP from scratch.

Up until now everything seemed to work fine, but today I installed a model flight simulator (Reflex XTR) which won't work because it can't find a graphics driver.

On checking in Windows Device Manager I saw a yellow ? against Display Adapters, which was listed under Other Devices. Since I have the original system recovery discs for my PC, I tried to sort the problem by getting Device Manager to install the correct driver. It installed a driver for ATI Radeon HD3450, but warned that it couldn't verify it. In Device Manager ATI Radeon HD3450 is now listed under Display Adapters with a yellow ! against it and, when I click on it, it shows a message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

My display seems to be working fine, but my Reflex XTR still can't find any graphics driver.

How can I sort out the driver, please?

As it happens, I've also got yellow ? against Other PCI Bridge Device and SM Bus Controller, both listed under Other Devices.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 04 Dec 09

click here

Radeon drivers

pavillion model number you ned to download and install the motherboard drivers for XP

stlucia 20:56 04 Dec 09

Thanks, Fruit Bat /\0/\

I've gone to your link and downloaded the Radeon drivers Zip file, and then extracted all the files. What do I do next?

I've gone back into Device Manager and asked it to install the drivers, but it can't find the files it wants.

I've been into the new files downloaded from your link, found a setup.exe file, and tried to run that, but it keeps failing.

Good news is that Windows managed to find the right files for the PCI Bridge Device (whatever that is) and install them, so the only yellow ? I have left is SM Bus Controller.

stlucia 11:18 05 Dec 09

I've copied all the driver files from the link above. I've uninstalled my display driver using Windows Device Manager, so that when I boot up I get a "new hardware found" message which eventually confirms that it's an ATI Radeon HD3450.

When I click on the "new hardware" message to complete the installation, it goes okay (though I have to manually tell it where each file is) until it comes to what seems to be the last file, ATIODCLI, which it says is "not intended for this device". So, I've still got a yellow ! against Video Controller (VGA Compatible) in Device Manager.

I've also been to the HP web site, input my model number (HP Pavilion a6525.uk), and it then says HP have no drivers unless I'm using Windows 7 -- I'm using XP, and the PC was supplied with Vista.

Any advice what I can do next, please?

stlucia 08:32 06 Dec 09

Just in case anyone else encounters this problem, this is how I fixed it: I went to the ATI web site and selected my device type and Windows operating system, and it then downloaded its Catalyst software which, when I ran it, installed all the necessary drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…