Graphics Card on the way out?

m800afc 19:09 07 Aug 10

Windows XP Pro SP3; ASRock 775VM800; Pentium 4; 3GHz; 2Gb RAM
Radion 9700 Pro Radion 9700 Pro (Secondary)
Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait)

My computer has been flakey for a little while and
when I try to run the simplest of match three games, the computer will freeze after a short time. I get a dialog box saying "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands."
Is this a software problem or a problem with the graphics card? Will it mean replacing any hardware or is there a software fix?

gazzaho 05:39 08 Aug 10

I had a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 (unclocked) with a similar type of message appearing now and again, games would freeze then display the message and crash out or graphics would become garbled while playing.

Here's a link to the Nvidia forum where others had the same message (click here)

This behaviour occurred at random for a year or more and finally last week the card stopped working with games at all, the 2D worked OK but 3D for games and AERO on Windows 7 were borked. I myself believe the card was overheating while playing games and eventually gave up the ghost. Checking the GPU temperature while running a game may give you some idea if this is the cause.

citadel 10:15 08 Aug 10

best to try another card, maybe one of your friends has a card they dont use, i know i have spare cards after upgrading.

m800afc 10:08 10 Aug 10

I have solved the problem, touch wood.
I gave the inside a thorough clean, and removed all the dust from the fans. It did not make a scrap of difference. Eventually, I took the whole of the front fascia off the chassis. In between the front plastic fascia and the mesh covering the main chassis fan was a thick pad of accumulated dust which was compacted enough to class as felt. I removed this, and cleaned the fan out and reassembled. The air flow is now restored and the graphics card seems to be back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant