Graphics Card Upgrade Suggestions for SLI Set Up

nrobbo 17:19 01 Jan 08

Hi all thanks for looking at this post.im new to using forums etc but hope you will bare with me… Im looking for some ideas suggestions for an upgrade to the graphics part of my rig please.
Below you will find my set up as it is at the moment >>>>>

Intel Pentium D 3Ghz Processor Dual Core 2mb Cache
4 GB Ram DDR2 667MHz
2 x 36.7GB 10.000 RPM SATA H/DRIVES 36GB Western Digital Raptor in RAID Level 0 setup for windows only PARTITIONED 20GBsystem/50GBstorage
click here
2 x 250gb SATA western digital h/drives as storage only
Graphics card = NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT GV-NX78T256V-B PCI-EXPRESS
click here
Motherboard GA-G1975X
click here
Thermaltake Water Cooled VB5001SNA Tai-Chi Super Midi Tower - Aluminium
click here
500W Power supply

The system was built for and still is used for photography/video editing etc. I just recently purchased a sony bravia 42 lcd TV and after borrowing a Xbox 360 was so impressed by the gaming + Xbox it is responsible for rekindling my gaming interest . But instead of buying an Xbox to reduce extra stuff under the TV, decided to link pc to my 42 LCD, via the correct video/audio cables (this part im ok with).
The card ive been using as worked perfectly for what ive been doin, and been the same when ive played pc games that ive used in the past XPAND RALLY and have just got Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII and love the game so far hence the upgrade. As this is a one off upgrade and wanted to get it right 1st time if I can…What I was looking to do is upgrade the graphics card from a 256MB to X 2=256MB OR X 2 = 512MB cards & linking them re SLI connection as the m/board supports this function.
MY CONSIDERATIONS.
The card I have is fan cooled. I do understand the higher spec cards generate heat etc etc but I would like to cut down the noise if possible…are there any of the silentpipe card type that do the job ? I will consider extra cooling kits for the new cards if it means getting a reduction in noise…what are my options? Have I missed anything that needs looking at ?
QUESTIONS
1…what cards do the job?
2…what extra cooling kits go with the cards mentioned
3…ideally I want ideas for kit that people are using that will go into my system.
4…256MB OR 512MB Cards….which is the better long term solution

I hope it all makes sense and I have explained it clearly enough for you guys and gals to help….thanks for the help and look forward to the replies…and questions I’ll get no doubt.
Where possible can replies please include links to the kit that’s mentioned in the replies please.

A big thank you….regards…..Neil

nrobbo 21:19 02 Jan 08

hi,in my eagerness to post the question to the forums,ive realised a made a big big silly mistake.
ive used the term SLI but in fact i should have said/used crossfire instead. i do realise that i do need new cards to do the cross fire set up but would still like some guidence from the expierience of others...SO as above but with a crossfire set up in mind

again...sorry :-) <<<< newbie neil

garrema 22:29 02 Jan 08

You have 1 x Nvidia already. Of this chip mfg you may find (Q1) 2 x 512 mb 8800GTs in dual.
1 x a 8800GTX 768mb may do a better job than 2 in dual
(Q2)You should not encounter heat issues unless you are overclocking. (Q3)you have dual PCI slots on your MB - check click here
(Q4) more ram better with a powerful card.

woody 23:14 02 Jan 08

Hope it is ok to ask an additional question - is his 500w power going to be ok for two big graph cards?

nrobbo 17:48 03 Jan 08

hi guys,thanks for the replies..to answer quickly...yes the nvidia card is in now...however i do realise i may need to change to 2 ati cards to use the crossfire set up and the mobo supports this. and may go the 1 card route after doing some more research etc. wont be overclocking at all.
yes 2 pci-e slots on m/board so will be free and nothing in the way if i go crossfire way.

hi garrema...thanks for feedback...the q4 reply...i take it you mean more ram with a powerfull card as in system RAM and not on the card...ive got 4gb in the system as it is and wont take more.

hi woody,yes ive answered that one myself....im sure if i go xfire route i would have to increase the psu and was looking at maybe around 800w + but was just waiting to have it confirmed i would need it....i,ll need a quiet one so any ideas please.

IVE MESSAGED A MOD RE THIS THREAD RE MY ICCUP WITH THE WRONG TERMS/REFERENCES I.E SLI AND NOT XFIRE AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AND HE SUGGESTED I SEND IT AGAIN. IM GOIN TO TAKE HIS ADVICE....HE WILL THE LOCK THIS PARTICULAR THREAD...SO I WILL BE IN YOUR DEBT IF YOU KEEP YOUR EYE OUT FOR IT AND PICK IT UP AGAIN....AGAIN SORRY FOR THE ICCUP AND THANKS....CHEERS....NEIL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009