Graphics card upgrade - Connect 3D?

Oldcodger 10:50 10 Nov 05

I'm considering getting a Radeon 9600 XT and I note that dealers (like DABS for ex.) charge quite a bit more for the Connect 3D Radeon 96oo XT card with the 128MB memory than for the 256MB memory.
Also, on Connect 3D's website, the comparison chart for the 9600 range shows the 9600 XT with 256MB at the end - implying that it's the "best" card.
I note too that the gr. engine clock is a bit faster @ 550 MHz - the 128MB card is 500 MHz - not much difference there of course.
All the other entries are the same for both.
Does anyone know why the price difference is "apparently" the wrong way round?
BTW, I seem to remember that a reviewer on E-Buyer said that he 256MB was a slower card - how could that be?

Gongoozler 11:38 10 Nov 05

This site concludes that the 128M version of the Radeon 9600 XT is indeed slightly faster than the 256M version, and concludes that current games don't take advantage of the additional memory click here, so I suspect that the price difference reflects the greater demand for the faster version.

Oldcodger 13:32 10 Nov 05

OK, query answered in full - many thanks Gongoozler.
Good site from that link you gave.
It looks as though there is nothing much to choose between the cards in the 'real world' so I'll just go for the cheaper option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…