I currently have a:

1700+ Athlon XP
256MB PC133
40 + 46gig hard drives
GF2MX 32mb
Windows XP
iiyama 22" Monitor

On 3D Mark 2001 SE I get 2,800 with the latest NVIDIA drivers

I have decided to upgrade my graphics card, as I hope this will allow me to run some of the newer games better. I don't want to spend hundreds so please don't recommend an ATI 9800 of a GF FX 5900. I’m looking at a max of about £70 I have been looking at a GF3 Ti200 64mb DDR click here does anyone have a GF3 and if so are they any good? Im also keen to know if anyone has this exact card Gainward Geforce3 Ti-200 Powerpack Ti450 Golden Sample /AGP 64MB DDR With TV-Out and has run any benchmarks on it.

Thanks Michael

Ironman556 18:20 04 Jun 03

The Geforce 3 will not support the latest direct X, but they are good cards still. All it will mean is that you probably won't be able to use all the effects in new games. (I've been using a Rage Fury for over 3 years and it can still handle most games). If you've found one at the right price then go for it. They are better cards than the Geforce 4 MX's. The Geforce 4 Ti 4200's can be found for around £100 now, but that's a bit over your budget.

click here and have a look at the Sapphire 9000 Pro's.

Rayuk 18:23 04 Jun 03

If you take a look at this list may be of some help in picking a card
click here

citadel 18:33 04 Jun 03

I changed from a gf2 to gf4ti4200 and found a big increase in games playability. I would advise you to get one of these as it will be able to handle the new games that are coming out, even though they are not dx9 cards. They cost a little more than your budget but will be more future proof. I think ti4200 are coming down in price now. My score has gone up to 8000 and could be more if I used newer drivers.

goonerbill 18:56 04 Jun 03

heres a complete run down of the best prices on graphics cards click here and heres a run down on just geforce 4 cards click here and heres a run down on cards with 128mb onboard

goonerbill 18:58 04 Jun 03

sorry, forgot link on last item click here

Monitor Master 21:04 04 Jun 03

I think i still might go for the GF3 Ti 200 but does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Or what do you think i should get and why?

Does anyone have any 3DMark 2001 SE benchmark results for there ti200?

Thanks for all your help

Michael

Ironman556 22:01 04 Jun 03

The GF3's a good card and at a good price - I made them sound like they weren't in my last post. A good buy.

If you're willing to pay abit more then have a look at the cards I've suggested above:

GF4 Ti4200 - they're about £30 more on ebuyer for a card with 128MB RAM and have 8x AGP compatibility. If you go for one of these then I think it's an extra £30 well spent. You'll get improved graphics and it will last for playing games a bit longer.

The Radeon's are meant to be marginally faster than the equivalent Geforces, and if you want to watch DVD's on your PC, then they have a better image quality, but if you're mainly using it for games then go for a GeForce.

Ironman556 22:01 04 Jun 03

The GF3's a good card and at a good price - I made them sound like they weren't in my last post. A good buy.

If you're willing to pay abit more then have a look at the cards I've suggested above:

GF4 Ti4200 - they're about £30 more on ebuyer for a card with 128MB RAM and have 8x AGP compatibility. If you go for one of these then I think it's an extra £30 well spent. You'll get improved graphics and it will last for playing games a bit longer.

The Radeon's are meant to be marginally faster than the equivalent Geforces, and if you want to watch DVD's on your PC, then they have a better image quality, but if you're mainly using it for games then go for a GeForce.

Ironman556 22:02 04 Jun 03

(sorry for double post...)

MikeB. 22:16 04 Jun 03

(sorry for double post...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…