Graphics card upgrade advice

mikejd1972 20:39 28 Jun 04

Hi there,

I currently have an onboard graphics card, being an NVIDIA GeForce MX Integrated GPU, this is 128mb shared memory architecture and is 4x AGP. My motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-VM which supports 8x AGP.

I am thinking of upgrading to a Radeon, this one seems ok click here , being the SE version. Would it be better to go for a non SE version click here , or would it be better to stay with NVIDIA.

I dont play too many games, FIFA 2004 being my limit. I have just installed 1gb of memory, but still object to giving the integrated card 128mb of it!

Cheers

Mike

carver 20:48 28 Jun 04

Have a read here click here it will give you an idea of the type of card to buy for what you need. It might be better to spend a few £'s more and get a more capable card than be struggling with an underpowered card.

hugh-265156 20:48 28 Jun 04

either card will play most games out at the moment and for some time to come at reasonable resolutions. you may need to reduce some effects on some games slightly but anything will be a big improvement on the onboard you have at present and you will notice a big difference.

get the fastest card (highest clock and memory speeds) you can afford now and it will last you longer. ati or nvidia? its up to you.

mikejd1972 22:05 28 Jun 04

I have just installed an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, to replace the onboard one. When I did this I had to uninstall the drivers, make a change in the bios to disable the onboard audio codec then install the new card and drivers. Would this be a similar process with a graphics card?

The onboard one I have is actually fine, but there are occassions when it does let me down, such as visualisations on iTunes which can be a bit jerky and watching internet tv can be quite blocky. If the sapphire 128mb radeon 9600SE would be a noticeable difference then £50 is cheap!

Totally-braindead 22:11 28 Jun 04

The upgrade would definatly be noticeable don't worry about that. Regarding disabling the onboard graphics some motherboards do it themselves and some require you to disable them in the Bios, have a look in your manual or in the Bios and see whats there, if theres no mention of it in the Bios then it probably does it automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos