Graphics card upgrade

DJSmith3000 14:16 31 May 10

I'm sorry, I had no idea where to post this.

Hi there. Currently I have a Intel Pentium 4 (CPU 2.53 GHZ), Compaq07E8H Motherboard, 1 Gig DDR1 Ram, A MAXTOR 6L080L4 (7200RPM) harddrive and a GeForce4 MX 420 Video Card.

I think its time I upgraded my video card, but I have no idea what I should upgrade it to. I was hoping it was possible for a 1 gig onboard memory card, but I'm not sure if my mother board would support it, in which case I was wondering if anyone could reccommend what video card I upgrade to.

I'm not sure of my power supply, if you need to know, could you please tell me how I would find this out and I will be sure to get back to you.

Thanks in advace, any help is appreciated! :-)

Dark Mantis 15:16 31 May 10

I am fairly sure that your graphics card slot is an AGP version in which case you would need to look on Ebay or similar for a second hand one. I doubt that you will find one with 1Gb memory though.

DJSmith3000 15:35 31 May 10

Yeah I'm pretty sure its APG, does that mean I can use any APG card?

Devil Fish 16:29 31 May 10

pretty much but not all googled your system and it appears to be AGP x4 most AGP x8 cards are backward compatible (but not all) neither will they run to their full potential so worth checking before purchase

also worth checking

power supply rating for the card

(power supply you should find a sticker on it with the ratings)

lenght of card will it fit your case

and what is the card being used for

i.e you wont need something like a 7600GT if you are just web surfing and typing

DJSmith3000 22:01 31 May 10

For the most part, I want a decent level of gaming, I want to be able to play the basic games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Driver 3 and even DOOM 3, and at the moment, only the graphics card lets me down...I'm not very tech savvy. Sapphire RADEON X800 GT, (256 MB) AGP Video Card looked like a good choice, but I'm not sure this will work in my machine.

Thank you for your help.

Devil Fish 23:49 31 May 10

im not to familiar with ATI cards as Nvidia cards are my prefered weapon of choice for gaming

had a quick look at system specs and it looks as though that card will be a bit light weight when it comes to Fallout 3 and doom 3

what sort of budget where you looking at for a new card

DJSmith3000 15:00 01 Jun 10

Roughly about 30 to 40 pounds

MAT ALAN 15:25 01 Jun 10

click here

If you can find one of these, can't direct you at the mo, still at work...

For gaming performance it was considered one of the best AGP cards, BUT and you have already touched on this you might have to increase the output of your PSU...

DJSmith3000 21:24 01 Jun 10

Oh thank you! Can you please tell me how I would go about checking this? Or how I can increase this?

MAT ALAN 21:44 01 Jun 10

if you are happy to do so, easiest way is to look inside it will have the info you want, make type and wattage on a label attached to PSU...

Ya might want to do this with power off and unplugged (but you knew that)...

DJSmith3000 00:35 02 Jun 10

Inside, it said

Compaq
Series PDP - 121P

Input
100-127/200-240V
6A/3A 50-60Hz

Output 220W Max

I hope this helps.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…