Graphics Card Upgrade

lodger 20:36 09 Jul 04

I run a Pentium 233 Mhz processor, win98 se, and 128 MB ram..PCI slots ready. i really need need some more video memory....does anyone know what size card my cpu can handle? I was hoping to go to about 16 MB.....I have 2 MB now....

hillybilly 21:02 09 Jul 04

It will probably take whatever you can get to fit, your not going to find easy to a PCI card these days. Most graphic cards today are fitted into an AGP slot. The last PCI card That bought was about two an half years back and the smallest I could get then was 16MB. Never been but I'm told a computer fair is a good place to look!

Dorsai 21:07 09 Jul 04

Unless you have a mobo with onboard graphics, the sky is the limit for graphics ram.

The real question may be about whether or not the bigger/better g/card is too much 'bigger and better'. then the PC that you have can't take full advantege of the new card.

it's the slowest part of the pc that drags the rest to it's level.

If the PC is too old/slow to take advantage of the new, fast, card, you wont' get the full advantage from it.

At 233Mhz, i would be tempted to save a bit longer and get a new one...

My opinion only....lets see what other say.

hillybilly 21:20 09 Jul 04

Absolutely right! I agree with every word!

goonerbill 23:34 09 Jul 04

the geforce fx series has one or two PCI versions but as Dorsai said wait and save to get new pc as your other problem will be that unless your motherboard supports the newer cards that have a 1.5 volt AGP X4/X8(think thats correct) you will have to buy a secondhand g/card that is 3.3 volt AGP X2.

if you still wish to upgrade your present pc, a computer fair will be your best option.

lodger 07:45 10 Jul 04

i'm glad to know a faster card can't actually do any harm to my antique pc....yesterday i found a new 64mb pci card, though the minimum system requirements for it are Pentium 2, i am tempted to buy it, its got the drivers, unlike many second hand cards, and surely it's got to work better than my present 2mb S3 card..?????.also I can take it with me when i change pc

hillybilly 10:13 10 Jul 04

That should work okay.

lodger 19:57 10 Jul 04

my new 32mb 3d card refuses to install...packaging says 300 mhz minimum pcu, looks like they mean it too...... i got the dreaded multi-beeps and a blank monitor, so i had to reinstall old card...has anyone else had this experience?

lodger 19:57 10 Jul 04

my new 32mb 3d card refuses to install...packaging says 300 mhz minimum pcu, looks like they mean it too...... i got the dreaded multi-beeps and a blank monitor, so i had to reinstall old card...has anyone else had this experience?

hillybilly 20:06 10 Jul 04

You said yourself right at the beginning of the thread that you have a 233Mhz. It is quite simply a fact that if the packaging says it needs a 300 minimum, then that is what it means, you also said that you had 64Mb card that was for a PII but you did not mention speed and I'm only sorry I did not think to ask.

lodger 22:15 10 Jul 04

i only bought it cos the salesman said my cpu could handle it......or my money back......so, no harm done..........it goes back to shop tomorrow..and the search continues..........somewhere in this crazy old world there is surely a graphics card for me....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…