Graphics card too tall!!

Scubaman 21:35 21 Jun 05

Hi, I have been given an Acer Veriton 3300D base unit with onboard graphics and sound. I tried to install a graphics card, a Radeon 7200 series, the problem I have is the card is too tall to fit in. Has anyone come accross this before?

User-312386 21:41 21 Jun 05

what is it hitting then?

My card is a little tight

Scubaman 21:53 21 Jun 05

The metal fixing on the card was too long so I changed it for a shorter one but even that was too tall for the securing screw, should I just modify fixing plate?

VoG II 21:58 21 Jun 05

What do you mean by "too tall". Is it to big to fit in the case or the slot?

Totally-braindead 00:15 22 Jun 05

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, never having seen it myself but I have seen threads from people who have had trouble fitting standard graphics cards and have had to get what they call a low profile card. It may be that this is your problem and this is what you need. Hopefully someone else on the Forum will see this and advise further. But I may be wrong, as far as I know the low profile cards are the same as regards the metal plate length its just the physical size of the PCB of the card that is smaller. Perhaps someone else will know better.

Belatucadrus 00:54 22 Jun 05

click here some suppliers do a low profile bracket as an option, may be worth checking out the manufacturers website.

Scubaman 17:48 22 Jun 05

I have just removed the card and it is 1cm taller and even if I swap over the metal end plate it still sticks up the extra 1 cm. I can't even find a make on the card, not sure if AMIC is a make, just made in China with the chips made in Singapore. I shall have a look for a low profile card as mentioned by Totally-Braindead. Thanks to you all anyway.

wee eddie 18:04 22 Jun 05

Scubaman - Before you waste any more money, post its specifications.

It's a thin form model and unlikely to be suitable for gaming so the card would probably be wasted anyway.

Scubaman 18:25 22 Jun 05

AOpen MX4B Mainboard, Intel P4 1600Mhz processor, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD. All I can find about the Graphics card is SiS 300/305. It mentions Micro ATX. You are right about the office work, it was given to me by a company who had it in their cellar for 3 years and had no use for it, (The box wasn't even opened!!)I thought my luck was in for a change! Would I be able to just use the mainboard and chip in a midi atx, using standard compenents?

Rayuk 18:47 22 Jun 05

Can you not just use a longer screw to secure it?

DieSse 18:54 22 Jun 05

You would be better to stick with the built-in graphics and up the RAM to 512Mb. This will probably give you as much performance boost as you're likely to get with this system. A Radeon 7200 is nothing special as far as graphics go - I suspect the SiS grahics may be almost as good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…