Graphics card suitable for Photography?

polo 17:05 14 Feb 05

I'm thinking of getting a new computer and wonder what sort of a graphics card I need. I do not use it fo gaming but do photography with large files often 16 mb or more and often with many layers. I shall get a Intel r Pentium r 4 @ 3.0 ghz 800MHS FSB/HTT/1MB with 1GB mb DDR400 PC3200 Ram. (hope these figures make sense!) Hope you can advise.

Stuartli 17:15 14 Feb 05

Any good graphics card will suffice - the thing to remember is that a monitor may not display the pix files' colours exactly as the original.

Depending on which colour management setting you use and the way the monitor display is set up, you will need to try out a photo editing program's controls until it delivers the overall print colours you require.

Once you have found an optimum setting you can save it and reuse as necessary with different files.

Diemmess 17:17 14 Feb 05

You don't need a very fancy card however splendid your photographs. Expensive cards are for Gamers and those interested in video editing, where the data is always changing and at frightening speed.

However high the resolution of your image, the resolution of the monitor is quite low, around 72 dpi.

So a large, best quality monitor for your money .... can be teamed with any moderate priced graphics card!

Gongoozler 17:18 14 Feb 05

As Stuartli says, photography is very undemanding of graphics cards. All the money on high performance (and price) cards goes into high speed 3-D graphics rendering. For a good graphics card to do what you want you don't need to spend more than about £40.

john-232317 17:29 14 Feb 05

For the sake of a few quid get a good one cos i bet you get hooked and go into DV camcorders next ;-))

Stuartli 17:49 14 Feb 05

..by another forum member...:-)

click here

polo 09:40 02 Mar 05

Yea thanks Stuartli looks very good, I'm sure I'll be using it.

Stuartli 09:56 02 Mar 05

Then you will like this neat little program as well:

click here

john-232317 13:18 03 Mar 05

Cheers for that first link ;-)

Completealias 13:36 03 Mar 05

Monitor and memory would b your 2 main considerations as someone else stated any card around the £40 mark should b ok but if you want to furture proof case u get into video at a later date then a bit more.

Seeing as you've got a gig of RAM u should b ok there so a decent monitor would b a very good option

anchor 14:06 03 Mar 05

As stated above, any decent graphic card will suffice; you don`t need to spend a lot. Lots of memory is invaluable, (you will have that with 1Gb).

I strongly recommend getting a really good monitor, a quality 19" TFT would be my suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…