Graphics Card Speeds

stuntmaster 09:43 06 Jan 04

I have bought a Mainboard for £20 and it states that it can run a graphics card in these speeds: 1x 2x and 4x however my Sparkle G-Force 4 mx440 is an 8x card it works fine, only in 2x mode. any ideas on how i can make it go into full 4x mode? i have tried the Control panel settings in the display section but it only shows OFF and 2x. if anyone can shed any light on this i would be grateful, if its unsolveable i will go get a new mainboard with an N-Force Chipset. the mainboard i am currently using is a Syntax VIA SV266m model.

Thanks

Ben

Jester2K 09:45 06 Jan 04

Check the BIOS settings are set to 4x

Jester2K 09:47 06 Jan 04

PS I have the same problem with my Gigabyte Mobo and GeForce 3 Ti 200. The card runs at 4x AGP, the Mobo BIOS is set to 4x AGP but the drivers will only allow me to set it to 2x AGP...

Gongoozler 10:10 06 Jan 04

It's like Jester2K says, you have to enable AGP Mode (4x) in BIOS, its in the "Advanced Chipset Setup" menu, under the "AGP & P2P Bridge Control" sub menu. You must also have the AGP drivers installed from the VIA 4in1 drivers on the motherboard cd.

Jester2K 10:13 06 Jan 04

Gongoozler has filled in the bits i've missed...

stuntmaster 16:16 06 Jan 04

yeah i will try that thanks, and will report back.

ben

stuntmaster 16:52 06 Jan 04

it works thanks alot, i noticed that my manual never told me this.

ben

Jester2K 22:04 06 Jan 04

Doesn't on mine though. Software still reports only 2x AGP is allowed....

Indigo 1 22:13 06 Jan 04

Which Gigabyte mobo do you have ?

I have a GA7IXE4 rev. 1.0 which will only allow AGP 1X due to a bug which they couldn't be bothered to iron out or to tell anyone about even though they advertise it as AGP 2X capable !

Took me ages to find, there is a workaround but it can produce instabilties says GigaByte so I never took the chance.

Jester2K 22:21 06 Jan 04

click here

It also advertises 4x AGP but EVERY NVidia driver I've used says its only running at 2x AGP. Currently the 45.32 Detonators state

VIA Chipset: AGP 2.0 (4X Disabled, 2X, 1X)

And the AGP Rate slider is max at AGP 2X....

Oh and the latest VIA 4 in 1 4.51 Hyperion drivers are installed..

This is the card (Guillemot Hercules 3D Prophet III Titanium 200) - click here - states "Interface AGP 4x"

I'm not too bothered as i think the difference between AGP 2X and 4X is negligible but still if you buy a 2 litre car you don't want to find you've got a 1.8 do you.....

Indigo 1 22:33 06 Jan 04

I'd be p****d off too !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…