Graphics Card Replacement

MASE 1 11:54 20 Sep 03

I want to upgrade my graphics. I have a fairly old pc that has built in graphics. Can I just add a graphics card [ I have a spare agp slot] or do I have to some how disable my built in one first

mark500 11:56 20 Sep 03

You can add an AGP card no problem. You will have to go into the BIOS to disable the On Board Graphics.

MASE 1 11:59 20 Sep 03

That is the answer I expected but didnt realy want. Bios worries me.

mark500 15:47 20 Sep 03

Nothing to worry about as long as you are careful. You have the option to exit without saving any changes if you make a mistake. When in BIOS go to the Intergrated Peripherals entry and the OB chip settings should be there.Just disable it normally by using arrow keys to highlight it and page up/down to change. Save and exit.Install agp card and away you go.

MASE 1 16:03 20 Sep 03

Thanks for your help,BUT. I think you know what the next question is going to be. [how does one get into BIOS. Sorry if I appear a bit stupid.

mark500 16:45 20 Sep 03

Restart the computer. When it starts press DELete and it should go into BIOS. On your motherboard it could be a different key. Look at the screen carefully and see if it is different.

MASE 1 17:34 20 Sep 03

That seems to be the case Mark. not ready to do job just yet though, but more confident now. May have to get back on this site when I am. Hope you are around.
Thanks for yuor help Regards.

Gongoozler 18:12 20 Sep 03

Hi Stan, do as mark500 says, and just search through the BIOS but make sure you exit without saving any changes. Do this a few times until you are confident, then make the change to disable the onboard graphics. This will probably be under the heading "Integrated Peripherals". Make sure you know where the link is reset the BIOS default settings, then if you do something really silly you can get your computer working again. If you don't have a manual for your motherboard, go to the makers web site and download one. If you can't find this, come back here with the make and model and we'll see if we can point you in the right direction.

mark500 18:26 20 Sep 03

Thanx for your input. You have mentioned a few basic rules I did not.

mark500 18:28 20 Sep 03

<b> </b> What is going on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…