graphics card and psu upgrade for old Dell Inspiron.

Cumbrian_gadgey 14:33 01 Oct 14
Answered

Hi, my 7 year old Dell has served me well enough for 6-7 years but throws its electronic hands up in horror at games like Tomb Raider Underworld, or newer. Looking into it, the games should run well enough if it weren't for the motherboard graphics card.

I was thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 750 Ti, because of its performance and low power consumption. I need to know if it will fit okay and if I also need to upgrade my existing PSU, which is as old as the PC.

Here's what I know I've got:

Computer; Dell Inspiron 531 Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit CPU: AMD 64x2 dual core 5000+, 2.6 GHz Internal hard drives : 2 x Samsung HD321KJ 298 GB HDD Optical drives: PBDS DVD+RW; TSST Corp DVD ROM RAM: 2GB Graphics card: Motherboard GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 Graphics slot: PCIE x16 PSU: Bestec ATX0300P5WB, 300W

Currently, when set to max performance the computer uses 160W at the socket, so I'm guessing it only consumes around 110W internally.

Here are my questions. I hope you can help:

1. Will the card fit that set-up?
  2. Should I replace the PSU? it's old and I'd heard that a second power supply was needed for the GTX 750 TI, which it doesn't seem to have.
  3. If a new PSU is recommended does it need to be bigger that 300W? Some say it does...others say it doesn't!
  4. What PSU would you suggest? I'd wondered about a Corsair CX430. Physically I can't go bigger than 14x15x8.6 cm, because the motherboard sits pretty tightly underneath the PSU.

Am I going along the right lines, or am I way off line?

Thanks for your help.

wee eddie 15:55 01 Oct 14
Answer

Be aware that Dell frequently use parts that are specifically made for them and may not be to the Standard Dimensions used by others.

Cumbrian_gadgey 12:29 02 Oct 14

Thanks, wee lad!

I'm not getting any response yet. I checked what I could but was still unsure, hence the questions.

If anything, I'm more unsure now. My PSU is definitely a standard size, so renewing it at 450W or less will result in the dimensions being the same. The card itself could be more of a problem, physically but i would have thought that the PCIE x16 itself is okay. This is an industry standard. Surely Dell wouldn't alter that !?

I'll hold on for more definitive answers but maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and order what I think is okay. If it works, I'll let you all know!

Thanks again.

Marcus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant