Graphics card problems

Doodlebug 17:11 22 Jun 06

I have the following:
ASUS A7V333 Rev 1 Motherboard
Athlon 1.67 Ghertz Chip
XP Home with SP 2
LG Flatron 915 FT monitor

I recently replaced the failing nVidia graphics card with a Rareon 1600X Pro card (AGP), after speaking to Evesham Micros.

Since then, and after reinstalling drivers, checking the card seating, and making sure there's no dust in the box, I have had nothing but trouble. The PC freezes, often with the screen going black and/or I get the message via Microsoft that I should update the driver or reduce the hardware accelaerator setting (tried).

Any ideas out there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 22 Jun 06

driver coflict

click here
click here
click here

Download those and run them in safe mode, to remove all residue of nvidia drivers, as they like to cling to Windows like a leech. Should be good to go then.

Doodlebug 09:55 27 Jun 06

Thanks for your response, Fruit Bat. I tried the utilities you pointed to, but it looks as though the solution will be to fit a new PSU. At the moment I have a 250W unit, so I am going to get a 400 - 450 watt replacement.

laugem 19:01 27 Jun 06

I would also check with Radeon, (telephone number should be on the box or the install paperwork), I know they had problems with a few faulty chips that were causing hassle with different MotherBoards, in the words of the customer services for the motherboard I tried to install a Radeon card to in April, Radeon no good, faulty chip, Radeon know about this, contact Radeon.

I ended up taking my card back and getting it replaced at PCWorld, they never queried it they just said they had heard of the problem.

Hope the above assists.

Doodlebug 14:27 01 Jul 06

Problem appears to have been solved by replacing the PSU. I had a 250W, replaced with an Antec 450W from click here. All now seems to be OK. Thanks, Fruit Bat and laugem, for your kind responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…