Graphics Card Problem...

2drewej 22:23 15 Jun 08

Posted a topic earlier about not being able to get a 7950gt working on a machine running vista 32bit, 4gig ram and 650w psu etc...

The problem was the monitor would not come out of 'standby mode', in other words there was no image whatsoever on the screen, even though the computer seemed to be fully active (+ all fans include that on card were spinning)

i tried uninstalling the drivers from my old card (8500gt) even though the driver for both card is exactly the same.

I just tried putting the card in our other pc, which has a lower psu, it boots up fine however there are lots of weird blotched/patches on the screen which i suspect is due to the power underated and not having connected the additional 12v supply.

---------

now i know the card works fine but why cant i boot on my fisrt pc??

thanks for your help

citadel 22:59 15 Jun 08

I had to update motherboard bios and drivers to get a card to work, this is a last resort as there is danger if it fails.

2drewej 23:05 15 Jun 08

i shouldnt have to do that really because the motherboard should be compatible (its a brand new gigaybyte n650i, quad core compatible etc)
... the current card i have in it which is a 1gb 8500gt works fine, the only real difference is that one doesnt needed any extra power bar the pci-e slot

Totally-braindead 23:21 15 Jun 08

I think that perhaps you might have answered it. It could well be power. Either the power supply is not providing the power the card needs or perhaps its a bad connection. Just because the power supply says 650 watts doesn't mean that it will supply enough power to the graphics card.

I would also recheck all the connections in your new PC to make sure nothing else is missed out.

2drewej 23:28 15 Jun 08

dont think its the power because it booted on my secondary computer which has only 450w and a low 12v rating, it just had lots of blotches/lines on the screen...

however the power supply i have meets the requirements and has adaquate 12v a, however the monitor remains in standby, it works fine with my old card

2drewej 23:31 15 Jun 08

ive also checked the connections, and tried booting the card with and wothout the 12v power cable connected-still nothing :(

2drewej 17:30 16 Jun 08

anyone?

citadel 19:29 16 Jun 08

If it is a new card you can send it back for testing, and if it's fauly you get another or your money back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos