Is this a graphics card problem?

bukkaz 20:18 20 Aug 07

Screen looks as though it has loads of barcodes across it (purple on white background, green on black background). Before I go ahead and get a new graphics card i just want to confirm it is a card problem and not something else.
Did ask previously for decent cards for £80 or so. got a couple of replies, for which thanks. For gamaing I play COD2, Half Life 2 and amgetting Medal Of honour Airborne Assault when it comes out.
Any other suggestions for decent cards for that price? Current PSU is 350 watts. Assuming it is a graphic card problem.

woodchip 20:27 20 Aug 07

try refitting the card

SANTOS7 20:45 20 Aug 07

Fair test would be to try another monitor if you can borrow one..

Have to say if you are gaming and you are going to upgrade you graphics card you will need to upgrade your PSU as well 350w is a bit skinny by todays standards..
click here
the link may help..

harps1h 20:50 20 Aug 07

when upgrading to a new psu make sure the 12 volt rails are giving enough power to run a seperate power using video card. i would also advise investing more than the link as they will not give the peak power required over a long period of time. i have tried them and found this to my cost.

bukkaz 22:21 20 Aug 07

A couple of times it has looked ok when browsing, although there are still lines on the desktop, then it has gone back again after about 10 minutes. Someone said it might be that the graphics card is overheating. The monitor ( Samsung 205BW) is only about 6 weeks old so I hope it isn't that!

harps1h 23:08 20 Aug 07

i would think it is the card. unless you have done any overclocking the heat levels should be fine. the card is corrupting the image it puts on the screen. this happened to me with my old 6600gt a couple of months ago. be careful what you replace it with and if you are not sure about anything post back. if you wish post back your motherboard, chip, ram specs and whether your graphics card slot is pci-e or agp

DieSse 00:43 21 Aug 07

Probably the card - check the fan on the card (assuming it has one), fan problems are a common cause of overheating.

That's why I got a fanless card last time!

mrwoowoo 00:45 21 Aug 07

How about uninstallig the card and using the onboard graphics.Then you will know if it is the monitor or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…