Graphics Card Problem

heavymetalkid 22:11 05 Apr 06

Because I've been getting an on screen graphics card warning on shut down occasionally, I checked my Device Manager and discovered that there was two X800GT listed...one is marked "secondary".
As my machine is still under guarantee I contacted Evesham via e-mail and they've advised me to uninstall both of them and then restart.
I'm unsure about this...if I uninstall both, how then can I re-install my graphics card? Can anyone help?

RobCharles1981 22:16 05 Apr 06

My advice is too leave it, do you have a flat Pannel Monitor? I have 2 Graphics cards listed in my divice manager they don't make any difference.......

heavymetalkid 22:33 05 Apr 06

Evening Rob and thanks....I haven't actually got two cards only one, there are, for some reason two listed. Yes I've got a flat panel. Evesham tell me to uninstall, do you think I should ignore their advice?

heavymetalkid 22:34 05 Apr 06

Evening Rob and thanks....I haven't actually got two cards only one, there are, for some reason two listed. Yes I've got a flat panel. Evesham tell me to uninstall, do you think I should ignore their advice?

RobCharles1981 23:05 05 Apr 06

I would ignore their advice, as long as it works then don't fiddle with it thats my advice

phono 23:12 05 Apr 06

With modern graphics cards it is normal to have a secondary adaptor listed in device manager, it is not a problem.

RobCharles1981 23:15 05 Apr 06

yep I agree there

heavymetalkid 23:24 05 Apr 06

Thanks Rob and Phono. My machine is still under warranty and the advice to uninstall and then reboot came from the Evesham technical department. Friends with more computer knowledge than me,tell me that if I do this then Windows will automatically re-install the graphics card when I turn the computer back on. What do you think?

RobCharles1981 23:32 05 Apr 06

It wont make no difference just leave things as they are evesham say anything they do

phono 23:32 05 Apr 06

That is the most likely scenario, you may need the driver CD to install the drivers correctly but a word of warning is also in order, some ATI and nVidia graphics cards can be very temperamental if this method is used and can sometimes cause a lot of problems when trying to reinstall the drivers.

phono 23:35 05 Apr 06

You said:

"Because I've been getting an on screen graphics card warning on shut down occasionally".

What exactly is the warning that you get?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced