Graphics Card Problem

Sandy110 22:33 26 Aug 05

I've just purchased a new PC (E Machines E4020).
I would like to fit a better graphics card but there is no AGP slot on the motherboard just PCI slots. The motherboard spec says they are PCIe slots but I've tried a PCIe graphics card and it won't fit. Any suggestions?

Wrinkles 22:52 26 Aug 05

The spec on the site doesn't list available PCI/AGP slots but as it has Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 Up to 224MB shared I would have thought there was no need to add a "Better" graphics card

AndySD 22:58 26 Aug 05

click here the PCIe looks like either of the short white slots next to the fan.

Sandy110 23:07 26 Aug 05

Thanks for that. The motherboard is an Intel D915GAG AAC87709-302 but doesn't resemble the picture you posted. Can I just buy a standard PCI graphics card?

AndySD 23:15 26 Aug 05

click here This One?

If so yes it will run standard PCI Graphics cards.

Sandy110 23:20 26 Aug 05

Thats the one. Thanks for the help

DieSse 23:20 26 Aug 05

"Can I just buy a standard PCI graphics card?"

You could if you can find one that is going to be an improvement on the on-board graphics.

I doubt that on both counts - they are very unusual these days - and tend to be older technology cards that are unlikely to improve your graphics performance.

Not impossible - just very unlikely.

Sandy110 23:39 26 Aug 05

I do a lot of CAD & GIS work and the onboard graphics appear to be very slow to refresh. That's why I thought a seperate card might improve things a little

AndySD 23:43 26 Aug 05

Hoe much RAM have you in the pc?

DieSse 23:43 26 Aug 05

More RAM might improve things - then that "stolen" by the graphics can be mitigated against - how much RAM have you got?

Methinks you should have chosen a system with a seperate graphics card to do CAD work - who advised you this system would be suitable - if the shop, then you may have a csae for a refund/upgrade.

Sandy110 23:51 26 Aug 05

There's 512 DDR at the moment with another 512 coming tomorrow.

A "friend" advised on the PC. It looks like I may have to do some appropriate backside kicking!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…