graphics card problem

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:02 15 May 04

I have been playing Age Of Empires and have encountered a problem (ooh, windows speak lol).

After playing the game for about five minutes my screen goes "funny" - the only way I can describe it is like interference on TV but static not fuzzy and with colour (does that make sense?). I have tried 3 times just in case it was a gliche.

If I ctrl-alt-del and end A of E i get the following message:

VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.

There is then an option to send an error report or not.

my graphics card is ATI radeon 9600, i'll check with belarc and sandra and see if I can post any more about it. I have 1 gig ram. 2gb processor.

What could the problem be?

I am sure my system must be ok as I played this game on an old pc about 2-3 years ago with 1gb proccy and 256mb ram (not sure what gfx card though). I was so excited when I saw this game in the second hand shop for a tenner as it was my fave all those years ago...

...please help me to play it!

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:07 15 May 04

this is what belarc says about gfx card:

RADEON 9600 Series [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 Series Secondary [Display adapter]

will check sandra...

Have you installed the patch? click here

This is an old DirectX5 game from the reading (Win 95), and you appear to be running Windows XP. I'm not sure if it's compatible but you could try compatibility mode or enter the following lines by selecting the desktop AoE shortcut and pressing ALT+Enter then choosing 'Shortcut' tab:

(Copied from click here)

The "Target" line should look like (including quotation marks): "D:\Games\\Age of Empires\epires.exe" -msync -mfill

Don't know if the above will work but it's probably worth a try. It also suggests disabling sound though it's referring to a very old soundcard. It may be an idea to check out direct x (dxdiag) and run a diagnostics test, and also check your graphics card drivers, though I suspect it's an isolated game problem more than anything, with AoE being an old game.

You could also try visiting click here and seeing if somebody there has the game and can help. They're much more knowledgable than myself.

Giggle n' Bits 23:36 15 May 04

mainly the AGP Card, Motherboard chipset Via, Intel or Sis ?, DirectX, if running XP there is a games related patch from the Windows Updates, turn of Screen saver when running game and also any virus software.

Look in you device manager/hardware list is there any Yellow Exclamation marks ?

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:33 16 May 04

Spook tooth (etc)

I have just tried compatibility mode as win 95 and same thing happened.

Have posted on the forum you suggested, thanks for that.

Followed your other link and that seems to be for a demo version, does it still apply for full version?

Is AGP card my gfx card? if so do I just go to the radeon website and d/load new drivers?

What's a motherboard chipset via? have downloaded all MS updates (it scanned my system and said "hey, you need these" so I said "yeah, I'll have 'em" and took them. Will this be one that I have to ask for?

Only yellow ! is under monitors, next to "unknown device".

Thanks for your time and help so far.

Is AGP card my gfx card?

Yes. Update your graphics card drivers at ATi's main site: click here (select your Operating System etc).

What's a motherboard chipset?
What motherboard do you have? The chipset is supplied by one of about 4 or 5 companies, and can be Intel, SIS, Nvidia (Nforce) or Via. It's referred to as the Northbridge also and is some sort of memory controller or something that interfaces between your Processor and the rest of the computer.

I doubt updating your graphics card drivers will have much effect, but you never know! That corruption error message is a strange one, so it won't hurt to update those drivers.

The Yellow exclamation mark under monitor I would get checked out - it basically means the device is not installed correctly (driver not supplied etc). You should search online for your monitor make and model number and download the relevant and most recent driver update and then click Display Properties/Advanced/Monitor/Driver/Update etc then point the wizard to the downloaded driver file - it will then install and the yellow exclamation mark should go.

Hope you get on better with the other site - somebody should know how to resolve your problem there.

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:21 16 May 04

This is what Belarc says about my motherboard

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Diablo Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: X312345678
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.07 03/13/2004

where do I go for drivers for this?

and the yellow ! is not next to my monitor, it's under my monitor and says unknown device. Safe to delete?

click here That's the best I can do. Nothing turned up regarding the info you posted about your motherboard - it was unrelated and doesn't contain a 'model' number - go to Asus's site and see what I mean by model number.

Asus's site will have your motherboard chipset drivers - there may even be a utility for downloading said drivers, even without knowing which you actually need. However, I think you may need to have a look inside the PC case at the motherboard to distinguish what make it actually is. See if there is a sticker or somesuch that identifies it. Make sure you don't touch any components though and turn the power off before hand (switch on with power off to discharge any electricity).

I wouldn't worry about the yellow exclamation under monitors if it isn't actually a monitor - if it isn't harming anything then leave it alone.

Sorry I couldn't be of more use - somebody from ExG suggested you turn off VPU reporting in your ATi driver utility. See the site for more info.

Hope you get the game working... eventually.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:39 22 May 04

It took me so long to post back.

I tried turning off VPU, as suggested by rebel uk at exiled gamers, and this seems to have done the trick.

Thank you so much.

I hope nobody minds if this problem comes back and I repost...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…