Graphics Card Power Supply

captaingrumpy 18:29 09 Nov 06

Am I going to be wasting my time trying to get a Graphics Card requiring a 250W power supply working on a 220W supply ?

Be gentle with me, its my first post here.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:00 09 Nov 06

I would strongly recommend you buy a new power supply. This click here is less than £30 from a good manufacturer.

skidzy 19:01 09 Nov 06

I take it you like playing the games Captain ?

If this is the case,i would go for a good high wattage PSU ie: 500-600 watt and a known brand.

What card are you thinking of to use 250 watt ?

captaingrumpy 19:15 09 Nov 06

I'm trying to help my neighbour, he knows nothing, I know marginally more than nothing.

Its a budget dell with onboard graphics, & only pci slots on the memory board. Add to that, it will only take low profile cards and I've been tearing my hair out trying to help him.

I've finally sourced a graphics card, but don't want to tell him to buy it until I have solved the power problem.

If he needs to up the psu, where am I likely to find one that will fit a slim case pc ?

captaingrumpy 19:20 09 Nov 06

oops, for memory board, read mother board

skidzy 19:25 09 Nov 06

Can you tell us what model of Dell pc he has ? maybe we can find you one that fits.
I would assume its an ATX case but may be wrong.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:27 09 Nov 06

A Dell, this is not good as a standard ATX PSU will probably not fit. You may not be able to get any new PSU, except direct from Dell, not cheap.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 09 Nov 06

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

skidzy 19:32 09 Nov 06

Just had a look around and agree with Mr Mistoffelees,highly unlikely its an ATX case and i guess you will only get one from DEll as pointed out.

captaingrumpy 19:33 09 Nov 06

Its a Dimension 3100C

Totally-braindead 19:54 09 Nov 06

Before you go any further I would email Dell. Reason I say this is there was a thread last week from someone with a Dell who had bought a PCI graphics card as he too didn't have an AGP or a PCI Express slot and he couldn't get it to work. He emailed Dell and found out in the end that the motherboard would not accept a PCI graphics card so he'd wasted his money.

For Dell parts have a look here click here but I would check with Dell first before you go to any bother.

If it will take a graphics card then you might get away with it power supply wise, but you'd really be pushing it and if it did work the power supply would be running full bore all the time. I would also recommend replacing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…